The changing role of China in the transformation of corporate Japan
This conclusion to the special issue, ‘Cross-cultural Management Practices in East Asia: Lessons for Japanese MNEs’, examines how Japanese firms are responding to, and are affected by, increasing engagement with the Chinese economy. In addition to the three specific themes identified a priori to be of greatest concern to the transformation of corporate Japan (namely marketing and distribution, inter-corporate networks and human resources management), two additional themes can be discerned. These relate to institutional evolution and the challenges of localization. It is concluded that Japanese firms can be shown to demonstrate flexibility in their engagement with China within this analytical framework.
Volume (Year): 15 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FAPB20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/FAPB20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mike Wright & Robert E. Hoskisson & Mike W. Peng, 2005. "Strategy Research in Emerging Economies: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 1-33, 01.
- Shahid Yusuf & M. Anjum Altaf & Kaoru Nabeshima, 2004. "Global Production Networking and Technological Change in East Asia," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14918, August.
- Peter J Buckley & Jeremy Clegg & Chengqi Wang, 2002. "The Impact of Inward FDI on the Performance of Chinese Manufacturing Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(4), pages 637-655, December.
- Peter J Buckley & L Jeremy Clegg & Adam R Cross & Xin Liu & Hinrich Voss & Ping Zheng, 2007. "The determinants of Chinese outward foreign direct investment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 499-518, July.
- Simon Collinson & Alan M Rugman, 2008. "The regional nature of Japanese multinational business," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(2), pages 215-230, March.
- Klaus E Meyer, 2004. "Perspectives on multinational enterprises in emerging economies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(4), pages 259-276, July.
- Ravi Ramamurti, 2004. "Developing countries and MNEs: extending and enriching the research agenda," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 35(4), pages 277-283, July.
- Peng, Mike W. & Lu, Yuan & Shenkar, Oded & Wang, Denis Y. L., 2001. "Treasures in the China house: a review of management and organizational research on Greater China," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 95-110, May.
- Peter J Buckley & Jeremy Clegg & Chengqi Wang, 2007. "Is the relationship between inward FDI and spillover effects linear? An empirical examination of the case of China," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(3), pages 447-459, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apbizr:v:15:y:2009:i:3:p:463-476. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.