The role of the private and public sector in human capital formation
While there are strong equity and efficiency reasons for subsidizing education in developing countries, the prevailing dominance of governments in the financing and provision of educational services can be questioned. There is some evidence supporting the conclusion that a partial cost recovery through user fees may reduce the rationing of services which is still a pressing problem in many low-income countries, and that private providers tend to be more cost-efficient than their public counterparts.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 32 (1997)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.zbw.eu/de/
Web page: https://www.ceps.eu/
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Card & Alan Krueger, 1996.
"School Resources and Student Outcomes: An Overview of the Literature and New Evidence from North and South Carolina,"
NBER Working Papers
5708, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Card & Alan B. Krueger, 1996. "School Resources and Student Outcomes: An Overview of the Literature and New Evidence from North and South Carolina," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- David Card & Alan Krueger, 1996. "School Resources and Student Outcomes: An Overview of the Literature and New Evidence from North and South Carolina," Working Papers 745, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Jimenez, E. & Lockheed, M.E., 1995. "Public and Private Secondary Education in Developing Countries. A Comparative Study," World Bank - Discussion Papers 309, World Bank.
- Colclough, Christopher, 1996. "Education and the market: Which parts of the neoliberal solution are correct?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 589-610, April.
- repec:fth:prinin:366 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gertler, Paul & Glewwe, Paul, 1990. "The willingness to pay for education in developing countries : Evidence from rural Peru," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 251-275, August.
- repec:pri:indrel:366 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:intere:v:32:y:1997:i:4:p:186-192. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.