Proving regularity of the minimal probability of ruin via a game of stopping and control
We reveal an interesting convex duality relationship between two problems: (a) minimizing the probability of lifetime ruin when the rate of consumption is stochastic and when the individual can invest in a Black-Scholes financial market; (b) a controller-and-stopper problem, in which the controller controls the drift and volatility of a process in order to maximize a running reward based on that process, and the stopper chooses the time to stop the running reward and rewards the controller a final amount at that time. Our primary goal is to show that the minimal probability of ruin, whose stochastic representation does not have a classical form as does the utility maximization problem (i.e., the objective's dependence on the initial values of the state variables is implicit), is the unique classical solution of its Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman (HJB) equation, which is a non-linear boundary-value problem. We establish our goal by exploiting the convex duality relationship between (a) and (b).
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 15 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/content/101164/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Moshe A. Milevsky & Kristen S. Moore & Virginia R. Young, 2006. "Asset Allocation And Annuity-Purchase Strategies To Minimize The Probability Of Financial Ruin," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(4), pages 647-671.
- Milevsky, Moshe Arye & Ho, Kwok & Robinson, Chris, 1997. " Asset Allocation via the Conditional First Exit Time or How to Avoid Outliving Your Money," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 53-70, July.
- Duffie, Darrell & Fleming, Wendell & Soner, H. Mete & Zariphopoulou, Thaleia, 1997. "Hedging in incomplete markets with HARA utility," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(4-5), pages 753-782, May.
- Bayraktar, Erhan & Young, Virginia R., 2008.
"Mutual fund theorems when minimizing the probability of lifetime ruin,"
Finance Research Letters,
Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 69-78, June.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Virginia R. Young, 2007. "Mutual Fund Theorems when Minimizing the Probability of Lifetime Ruin," Papers 0705.0053, arXiv.org, revised Mar 2008.
- Bayraktar, Erhan & Young, Virginia R., 2007.
"Minimizing the probability of lifetime ruin under borrowing constraints,"
Insurance: Mathematics and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 196-221, July.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Virginia R. Young, 2007. "Minimizing the Probability of Lifetime Ruin under Borrowing Constraints," Papers math/0703850, arXiv.org.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Virginia Young, 2007.
"Correspondence between lifetime minimum wealth and utility of consumption,"
Finance and Stochastics,
Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 213-236, April.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Virginia R. Young, 2007. "Correspondence between Lifetime Minimum Wealth and Utility of Consumption," Papers math/0703820, arXiv.org.
- Darrell Duffie & Thaleia Zariphopoulou, 1993. "Optimal Investment With Undiversifiable Income Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(2), pages 135-148.
- Browne, S., 1995. "Optimal Investment Policies for a Firm with a Random Risk Process: Exponential Utility and Minimizing the Probability of Ruin," Papers 95-08, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:finsto:v:15:y:2011:i:4:p:785-818. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.