Empirical demand systems incorporating intertemporal consumption dynamics
This article presents and estimates demand systems by explicitly incorporating intertemporal consumption behavior as summarized by the Euler equation. Demand systems are characterized by two indirect utility functions which are effectively globally regular and can better approximate nonlinear Engel curves. Furthermore, an exact and nonlinear Euler equation is derived without a log approximation. This equation is estimated jointly with the demand functions by a careful implementation of the orthogonality conditions using generalized method of moments. We illustrate the techniques by estimating the demand system and Euler equation for Australian aggregate data. Results generally indicate that the proposed methods are promising. The estimated rate of time preference is fairly small while the restrictions producing the moment equations are not rejected. Estimated Frisch price elasticities, which are relevant in an intertemporal setting, appear reasonable, and the intertemporal elasticity of substitution for consumption is found to be small, which are consistent with the findings in earlier studies. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2013
Volume (Year): 45 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/econometrics/journal/181/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Blundell & Martin Browning & Costas Meghir, 1994.
"Consumer Demand and the Life-Cycle Allocation of Household Expenditures,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 61(1), pages 57-80.
- Richard Blundell & Martin Browning & Costas Meghir, 1993. "Consumer demand and the life-cycle allocation of household expenditures," IFS Working Papers W93/11, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Amemiya, Yasuo, 1985. "Instrumental variable estimator for the nonlinear errors-in-variables model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 273-289, June.
- Thomas F. Crossley & Hamish W. Low, 2011. "Is The Elasticity Of Intertemporal Substitution Constant?," Journal of the European Economic Association, European Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 87-105, 02.
- Thomas Crossley & Hamish Low, 2005. "Is the elasticity of intertemporal substitution constant?," IFS Working Papers W05/25, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Attanasio, Orazio P & Weber, Guglielmo, 1995. "Is Consumption Growth Consistent with Intertemporal Optimization? Evidence from the Consumer Expenditure Survey," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(6), pages 1121-1157, December.
- Orazio P. Attanasio & Guglielmo Weber, 1994. "Is Consumption Growth Consistent with Intertemporal Optimization? Evidence from the Consumer Expenditure Survey," NBER Working Papers 4795, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keith R. McLaren & K.K. Gary Wong, 2009. "Effective global regularity and empirical modelling of direct, inverse, and mixed demand systems," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 42(2), pages 749-770, May.
- Keith R. McLaren & K.K. Gary Wong, 2007. "Effective global regularity and empirical modeling of direct, inverse and mixed demand systems," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 2/07, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Lars Ljungqvist & Thomas J. Sargent, 2004. "Recursive Macroeconomic Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 026212274x, July.
- Orazio P. Attanasio & Guglielmo Weber, 1993. "Consumption Growth, the Interest Rate and Aggregation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(3), pages 631-649.
- Martin J. Browning, 1989. "The Intertemporal Allocation of Expenditure on Non-durables, Services, and Durables," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 22(1), pages 22-36, February.
- Moschini, Giancarlo & Moro, Daniele, 1994. "Autocorrelation specification in singular equation systems," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 303-309, December.
- Moschini, GianCarlo & Moro, D., 1994. "Autocorrelation Specification in Singular Equation Systems," Staff General Research Papers Archive 11134, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Pollak, Robert A. & Wales, Terence J., 1991. "The likelihood dominance criterion : A new approach to model selection," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2-3), pages 227-242, February.
- Pollak, R.A. & Wales, T.J., 1990. "The Likelihood Dominance Criterion: A New Approach To Model Selection," Working Papers 90-10, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Pollak, R.A. & Wales, T.J., 1990. "The Likelihood Dominance Criterion: A New Approach To Model Selection," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 90-10, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Browning, Martin, 2005. "A working paper from April 1985: Which demand elasticities do we know and which do we need to know for policy analysis?," Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(4), pages 293-320, December.
- Joseph G. Altonji & John C. Ham, 1990. "Intertemporal Substitution, Exogeneity, and Surprises: Estimating Life Cycle Models for Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 23(1), pages 1-43, February.
- Russel J. Cooper & Keith R. McLaren, 1992. "An Empirically Oriented Demand System with Improved Regularity Properties," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 25(3), pages 652-668, August.
- Browning, Martin & Deaton, Angus & Irish, Margaret, 1985. "A Profitable Approach to Labor Supply and Commodity Demands over the Life-Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(3), pages 503-543, May.
- H. Youn Kim, 2004. "Commodity Rates of Interest and Intertemporal Substitution in Commodity Demand and Consumption," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 228-247, 06.
- Deaton, Angus, 1992. "Understanding Consumption," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288244, April.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1991. "The Rank of Demand Systems: Theory and Nonparametric Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 711-730, May.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-326, June.
- Kim, H Youn, 1993. "Frisch Demand Functions and Intertemporal Substitution in Consumption," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 25(3), pages 445-454, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:empeco:v:45:y:2013:i:1:p:349-370. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.