Bootstrapping a hedonic price index: experience from used cars data
Every hedonic price index is an estimate of an unknown economic parameter. It depends, in practice, on one or more random samples of prices and characteristics of a certain good. Bootstrap resampling methods provide a tool for quantifying sampling errors. Following some general reflections on hedonic elementary price indices, this paper proposes a case-based, a model-based, and a wild bootstrap approach for estimating confidence intervals for hedonic price indices. Empirical results are obtained for a data set on used cars in Switzerland. A simple and an enhanced adaptive semi-logarithmic model are fit to monthly samples, and bootstrap confidence intervals are estimated for Jevons-type hedonic elementary price indices.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 91 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=112915|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jack Triplett, 2004. "Handbook on Hedonic Indexes and Quality Adjustments in Price Indexes: Special Application to Information Technology Products," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2004/9, OECD Publishing.
- James G. MacKinnon, 2002. "Bootstrap inference in econometrics," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 35(4), pages 615-645, November.
- Bruce Curry & Peter Morgan & Mick Silver, 2001. "Hedonic regressions: mis-specification and neural networks," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(5), pages 659-671.
- Jonathan Murray & Nicholas Sarantis, 1999. "Price-Quality Relations and Hedonic Price Indexes for Cars in the United Kingdom," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 5-27.
- Brachinger, Hans Wolfgang, 2002. "Statistical Theory of Hedonic Price Indices," DQE Working Papers 1, Department of Quantitative Economics, University of Freiburg/Fribourg Switzerland, revised Aug 2003.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:alstar:v:91:y:2007:i:1:p:77-92. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.