Industrial Clusters And Innovation: An Evaluation And Implications For Economic Cohesion
This paper studies the role of industrial clusters in stimulating regional innovation and economic cohesion in Europe. Starting from an overview of industrial clusters in the EU, in which we highlight the strengths and weaknesses of agglomerations of firms, we empirically investigate how cluster and regional characteristics influence R&D investment and innovation output and the role they play in fostering economic cohesion. We find that the presence and size of clusters significantly enhance regional innovation in Europe; however, the industry in which regions specialize matters. In particular, specialization in medium-high and high-technology clusters seems to create a better environment for innovation and R&D. Finally, the presence of clusters in a region is positively associated with higher levels of employment.
Volume (Year): 19 (2010)
Issue (Month): ex ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda Xoan XXIII S/N, 15704 Santiago de Compostela|
Web page: http://www.usc.es/econo/RGE/benvidag.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Soubeyran, Antoine & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1999.
"Learning-by-Doing and the Development of Industrial Districts,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 156-176, January.
- SOUBEYRAN, Antoine & THISSE, Jacques-François, "undated". "Learning-by-doing and the development of industrial districts," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1366, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Soubeyran, A. & Thisse, J.-F., 1998. "Learning-by-Doing and the Development of Industrial Districts," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 98a26, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Sapir, Andre & Aghion, Philippe & Bertola, Giuseppe & Hellwig, Martin & Pisani-Ferry, Jean & Rosati, Dariusz & Vinals, Jose & Wallace, Helen, 2004. "An Agenda for a Growing Europe: The Sapir Report," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199271498.
- André Sapir & Philippe Aghion & Giuseppe Bertola & Martin Hellwig & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Bernard Lange & José Viñals & Helen Wallace & Marco Buti & Mario Nava & Peter Smith, 2004. "An agenda for a growing Europe: the Sapir report," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8070, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2000. "On the Growth of Micro and Small Firms," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 396, Stockholm School of Economics.
- David B. Audretsch, 1995. "Innovation and Industry Evolution," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011468, July.
- Zoltan Acs & David Audretsch, 1990. "Innovation and Small Firms," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262011131, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sdo:regaec:v:19:y:2010:i:ex_7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Iglesias Casal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.