Redistributive Effect of U.S. Taxes and Public Transfers, 1994-2004
In this study, the authors derive measures of the redistributive effect of taxes and welfare expenditures for the United States using Current Population Survey data for the years 1994, 1999, and 2004. The authors find that while income inequality increased, the redistributive effect of taxes and public transfers together reduced market income inequality by approximately 30 percent. In 2004, 88 percent of the net redistributive effect resulted from public transfers and 12 percent from taxes. The total redistributive effect would have improved by 35 percent in 2004 if horizontal inequities in taxes and public transfers could have been eliminated.
Volume (Year): 37 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ximing Wu & Jeffrey M. Perloff & Amos Golan, 2006. "Effects Of Government Policies On Urban And Rural Income Inequality," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 52(2), pages 213-235, 06.
- van de Ven, Justin & Creedy, John & Lambert, Peter J, 2001.
" Close Equals and Calculation of the Vertical, Horizontal and Reranking Effects of Taxation,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(3), pages 381-394, July.
- Creedy, J. & Lambert, P.J. & van de Ven, J., 2001. "Close Equals and Calculation of the Vertical, Horizontal and Reranking Effects of Taxation," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 781, The University of Melbourne.
- Jin Kwon Hyun & Byung-In Lim, 2005. "Redistributive effect of Korea's income tax: equity decomposition," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 195-198.
- Burkhauser, Richard V. & Smeeding, Timothy M. & Merz, Joachim, 1994.
"Relative Inequality and Poverty in Germany and the United States Using Alternative Equivalence Scales,"
16295, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Burkhauser, Richard V & Smeeding, Timothy M & Merz, Joachim, 1996. "Relative Inequality and Poverty in Germany and the United States Using Alternative Equivalence Scales," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 42(4), pages 381-400, December.
- Richard V. Burkhauser & Timothy M. Smeeding & Joachim Merz, 1994. "Relative Inequality and Poverty in Germany and the United States Using Alternative Equivalence Scales," FFB-Discussionpaper 12, Research Institute on Professions (Forschungsinstitut Freie Berufe (FFB)), LEUPHANA University Lüneburg.
- Burkhauser, Richard V. & Smeeding, Timothy M. & Merz, Joachim, 1994. "Relative Inequality and Poverty in Germany and the United States Using Alternative Equivalence Scales," MPRA Paper 7229, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David M. Cutler & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992.
"Rising Inequality? Changes in the Distribution of Income and Consumption in the 1980s,"
NBER Working Papers
3964, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cutler, David M & Katz, Lawrence F, 1992. "Rising Inequality? Changes in the Distribution of Income and Consumption in the 1980's," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 546-551, May.
- Ivica Urban & Peter J. Lambert, 2005.
"Redistribution, horizontal inequity and reranking: how to measure them properly,"
University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers
2005-12, University of Oregon Economics Department.
- Ivica Urban & Peter J. Lambert, 2008. "Redistribution, Horizontal Inequity, and Reranking: How to Measure Them Properly," Public Finance Review, , vol. 36(5), pages 563-587, September.
- Bishop, John A & Formby, John P & Zeager, Lester A, 1996. "The Impact of Food Stamps on US Poverty in the 1980s: A Marginal Dominance Analysis," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 63(250), pages 141-162, Suppl..
- Kakwani, Nanok C, 1977. "Measurement of Tax Progressivity: An International Comparison," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(345), pages 71-80, March.
- Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy & van der Burg, Hattem & Calonge, Samuel & Christiansen, Terkel & Citoni, Guido & Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Gerfin, Michael & Gross, Lorna & Hakinnen, Unto, 1999. "Redistributive effect, progressivity and differential tax treatment: Personal income taxes in twelve OECD countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 73-98, April.
- Ebert, Udo, 1997. "Social Welfare When Needs Differ: An Axiomatic Approach," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(254), pages 233-244, May.
- Aronson, J Richard & Johnson, Paul & Lambert, Peter J, 1994. "Redistributive Effects and Unequal Income Tax Treatment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 262-270, March.
- Chernick, Howard, 2005. "On the Determinants of Subnational Tax Progressivity in the U.S," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 58(1), pages 93-112, March.
- Wallace E. Oates, 2007.
"On the Theory and Practise of Fiscal Decentralization,"
0701, CREI Università degli Studi Roma Tre, revised Jan 2007.
- Wallace E. Oates, 2006. "On the Theory and Practice of Fiscal Decentralization," Working Papers 2006-05, University of Kentucky, Institute for Federalism and Intergovernmental Relations.
- Edward N. Wolff & Ajit Zacharias, 2007. "The Distributional Consequences Of Government Spending And Taxation In The U.S., 1989 And 2000," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 53(4), pages 692-715, December.
- Plotnick, Robert, 1981. "A Measure of Horizontal Inequity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(2), pages 283-288, May.
- Lambert, Peter J, 1985. "On the Redistributive Effect of Taxes and Benefits," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 32(1), pages 39-54, February.
- Jenkins, Stephen, 1988. "Reranking and the Analysis of Income Redistribution," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 35(1), pages 65-76, February.
- Weingast, Barry R & Shepsle, Kenneth A & Johnsen, Christopher, 1981. "The Political Economy of Benefits and Costs: A Neoclassical Approach to Distributive Politics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 642-664, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sae:pubfin:v:37:y:2009:i:1:p:3-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.