Redistribution, Horizontal Inequity, and Reranking: How to Measure Them Properly
The decomposition of the Gini-based index of redistributive effect of an income tax into vertical, horizontal, and reranking contributions according to the model of Aronson, Johnson, and Lambert (AJL) is revisited. When close equals groups are used, rather than the exact equals groups on which the model is predicated, problems arise. A new measurement system is proposed, in which three distinct forms of reranking are disentangled and the vertical and horizontal contributions are redefined. Other approaches to measuring equity in tax systems are set in context. Findings are briefly applied to Croatian data, and recommendations for users of the AJL methodology are given.
Volume (Year): 36 (2008)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter J. Lambert & Andre' Decoster, 2005.
"The Gini coefficient reveals more,"
Metron - International Journal of Statistics,
Dipartimento di Statistica, Probabilità e Statistiche Applicate - University of Rome, vol. 0(3), pages 373-400.
- Peter J. Lambert & André Decoster, 2005. "The Gini Coefficient Reveals More," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0508, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Peter J. Lambert & Andre Decoster, 2004. "The Gini Coefficient Reveals More," University of Oregon Economics Department Working Papers 2004-18, University of Oregon Economics Department, revised 05 Dec 2004.
- Raúl Camarero & Octavio Herrero & Ignacio Zubiri, 1993. "La medición de la inequidad horizontal: teoría y una aplicación al caso de Vizcaya," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 17(2), pages 333-362, May.
- Jenkins, S., 1988.
"Empirical Measurement Of Horizontal Inequity,"
169, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- J. Richard Aronson & Peter J. Lambert & Donald R. Trippeer, 1999. "Estimates of the Changing Equity Characteristics of the U.S. Income Tax with International Conjectures," Public Finance Review, , vol. 27(2), pages 138-159, March.
- Lambert, Peter J & Aronson, J Richard, 1993. "Inequality Decomposition Analysis and the Gini Coefficient Revisited," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(420), pages 1221-27, September.
- van de Ven, Justin & Creedy, John & Lambert, Peter J, 2001.
" Close Equals and Calculation of the Vertical, Horizontal and Reranking Effects of Taxation,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 63(3), pages 381-94, July.
- Creedy, J. & Lambert, P.J. & van de Ven, J., 2001. "Close Equals and Calculation of the Vertical, Horizontal and Reranking Effects of Taxation," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 781, The University of Melbourne.
- King, Mervyn A, 1983. "An Index of Inequality: With Applications to Horizontal Equity and Social Mobility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(1), pages 99-115, January.
- Jin Kwon Hyun & Byung-In Lim, 2005. "Redistributive effect of Korea's income tax: equity decomposition," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 195-198.
- Aronson, J. Richard & Lambert, Peter J., 1994. "Decomposing the Gini Coefficient to Reveal the Vertical, Horizontal, and Reranking Effects of Income Taxation," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 47(2), pages 273-94, June.
- Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy & van der Burg, Hattem & Calonge, Samuel & Christiansen, Terkel & Citoni, Guido & Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Gerfin, Michael & Gross, Lorna & Hakinnen, Unto, 1999. "Redistributive effect, progressivity and differential tax treatment: Personal income taxes in twelve OECD countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 73-98, April.
- Kakwani, Nanok C, 1977. "Measurement of Tax Progressivity: An International Comparison," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(345), pages 71-80, March.
- Mitja Cok & Ivica Urban, 2007. "Distribution of Income and Taxes in Slovenia and Croatia," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 299-316.
- van Doorslaer, Eddy & Wagstaff, Adam & van der Burg, Hattem & Christiansen, Terkel & Citoni, Guido & Di Biase, Rita & Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Gerfin, Mike & Gross, Lorna & Hakinnen, Unto, 1999. "The redistributive effect of health care finance in twelve OECD countries," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 291-313, June.
- Aronson, J Richard & Johnson, Paul & Lambert, Peter J, 1994. "Redistributive Effects and Unequal Income Tax Treatment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 262-70, March.
- Plotnick, Robert, 1981. "A Measure of Horizontal Inequity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(2), pages 283-88, May.
- Lambert, P & Ramos, X, 1995. "Vertical redistribution and horizontal inequity," IFS Working Papers W95/01, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sae:pubfin:v:36:y:2008:i:5:p:563-587. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.