Potential gains for Bolivia of the subscription of an association Agreement with the European Union
The liberalization trading has become a really important factor to determine both, the economic growth and the level of poverty in a country. It can be observed that in developed countries, international trading is essential, while in most of the developing countries do not get the same benefits. Although commercial openness could not raise the economic welfare in the same proportion in all of the countries where it was applied, it is still a model used in order to achieve development. The following paper looks for determining, theorically and empirically, the impacts of an Association Agreement with the European Union over the economy in general and the poverty levels. Then, a specific case is used, when talking about the impacts on the exports of quinoa and the benefits that the raise in the exports of this product can bring to the rural communities that produce it. The paper concludes that the only way to get the benefits of the Association Agreement with the European Union is to diversify the products that Bolivia exports and use more modern technology that can give the products a higher aggregate value.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 14 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universidad católica Boliviana San Pablo, Instituto de Investigaciones Socio Económicas, Av. 14 de septiembre 4807. Obrajes, La Paz, Bolivia|
Phone: (591-2) 784159
Fax: (591-2) 786707
Web page: http://www.iisec.ucb.edu.bo
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Germán Calfat & Renato G. Flôres, 2006.
"The EU-Mercosol Free Trade Agreement: Quantifying Mutual Gains,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44, pages 921-945, December.
- Calfat, Germán & Flôres Junior, Renato Galvão, 2004. "The EU-Mercosul free trade agreement: Quantifying mutual gains," FGV/EPGE Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 575, FGV/EPGE - Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Schiff, Maurice & Winters, L Alan, 1998. "Regional Integration as Diplomacy," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 12(2), pages 271-295, May.
- Schiff, Maurice & Winters, L. Alan, 1997. "Regional Integration as Diplomacy," CEPR Discussion Papers 1690, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Schiff, Maurice & Winters, L. Alan, 1997. "Regional integration as diplomacy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1801, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:revlde:1405. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tirza July Aguilar Salas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.