A Credit Scoring Model For Institutions Of Microfinance Under The Basel Ii Normative
The growth of microcredit worldwide along with international rules on capital requirements (Basel II) are increasing the competition between microfinance institutions (MFIs) and banks for this business segment. The bank system traditionally has relied on adequate credit scoring models to analyze the risk of payment failures, but this has not been the case in supervised MFIs. The objective of this research is to design a credit scoring model for any institution subjected to supervision and specialized in microcredit as the Development Agency for Small and Micro Enterprise (Entidad de Desarrollo de la Pequeña y Micro Empresa - Edpyme) of the financial system in Peru. The results of this research includes a methodology and the steps needed to design the model, and the assessment and validation process that can be applied in the business area, in particular, to establish an interest rate policy with customers. Eventually, the paper also explains how the model can be used to develop credit risk management under the Basel II IRB approaches.
Volume (Year): 15 (2010)
Issue (Month): 28 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.esan.edu.pe/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jens Reinke, 1998. "How to lend like mad and make a profit: A micro-credit paradigm versus the start-up fund in South Africa," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(3), pages 44-61.
- Orgler, Yair E, 1970. "A Credit Scoring Model for Commercial Loans," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 2(4), pages 435-45, November.
- Wiginton, John C., 1980. "A Note on the Comparison of Logit and Discriminant Models of Consumer Credit Behavior," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(03), pages 757-770, September.
- Dinh, Thi Huyen Thanh & Kleimeier, Stefanie, 2007. "A credit scoring model for Vietnam's retail banking market," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 471-495.
- Zeller, Manfred, 1998. "Determinants of Repayment Performance in Credit Groups: The Role of Program Design, Intragroup Risk Pooling, and Social Cohesion," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(3), pages 599-620, April.
- Mark Schreiner, 2001. "A Scoring Model of the Risk of Costly Arrears at a Microfinance Lender in Bolivia," Development and Comp Systems 0109005, EconWPA.
- Peter Kolesar & Janet L. Showers, 1985. "A Robust Credit Screening Model Using Categorical Data," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(2), pages 123-133, February.
- Sharma, Manohar & Zeller, Manfred, 1997. "Repayment performance in group-based credit programs in Bangladesh: An empirical analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(10), pages 1731-1742, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:joefas:0017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ESAN Ediciones)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.