Market risk valuation modeling for the European countries at the financial crisis of 2008
The work is dedicated to VaR models, estimated on the equities quotes of the six European countries. The time series cover three economic periods — pre crisis, crisis and post crisis, where the crisis period is the financial crunch of the 2008 year. The volatility estimation is based on the four APARCH(1,1) models and six distribution functions. The results of the investigation show the connection of the model with country's economic development and its financial condition at the different periods of time.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roxana Chiriac & Winfried Pohlmeier, 2010. "How Risky Is the Value at Risk?," Working Paper Series 07_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Xin Zhao & Carl John Scarrott & Marco Reale & Les Oxley, 2009. "Bayesian Extreme Value Mixture Modelling for Estimating VaR," Working Papers in Economics 09/15, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Sasa Zikovic & Bora Aktan, 2009. "Global financial crisis and VaR performance in emerging markets: A case of EU candidate states - Turkey and Croatia," Zbornik radova Ekonomskog fakulteta u Rijeci/Proceedings of Rijeka Faculty of Economics, University of Rijeka, Faculty of Economics, vol. 27(1), pages 149-170.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Jose A. Lopez, 1995.
"Evaluating the predictive accuracy of volatility models,"
9524, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Lopez, Jose A, 2001. "Evaluating the Predictive Accuracy of Volatility Models," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(2), pages 87-109, March.
- Dima Alberg & Haim Shalit & Rami Yosef, 2008.
"Estimating stock market volatility using asymmetric GARCH models,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(15), pages 1201-1208.
- Dima Alberg & Haim Shalit & Rami Yosef, 2006. "Estimating Stock Market Volatility Using Asymmetric GARCH Models," Working Papers 0610, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Economics.
- Sentana, Enrique, 1995.
"Quadratic ARCH Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(4), pages 639-61, October.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Jondeau, Eric & Rockinger, Michael, 2003. "Conditional volatility, skewness, and kurtosis: existence, persistence, and comovements," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 1699-1737, August.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993.
"On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks,"
157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993. " On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- Anders Wilhelmsson, 2006. "Garch forecasting performance under different distribution assumptions," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(8), pages 561-578.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:apltrx:0176. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anatoly Peresetsky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.