Asymmetric GARCH and the financial crisis: a preliminary study
The paper deals with estimation of both general GARCH as well as asymmetric EGARCH and TGARCH models, used to model the leverage effect of good news and bad news on market volatility. We estimate the models using daily returns of S&P 500 stock index and describe the news impact curves (NICs) for these models. When estimating the crisis series, we show the possibility of using a news impact surface to describe the results from models of higher orders.
|Date of creation:||03 Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-70, March.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Sébastien Laurent, 2004. "Analytical Derivates of the APARCH Model," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 24(1), pages 51-57, 08.
- Dima Alberg & Haim Shalit & Rami Yosef, 2008.
"Estimating stock market volatility using asymmetric GARCH models,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(15), pages 1201-1208.
- Dima Alberg & Haim Shalit & Rami Yosef, 2006. "Estimating Stock Market Volatility Using Asymmetric GARCH Models," Working Papers 0610, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Economics.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor K. Ng, 1991.
"Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
3681, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Ng, Victor K, 1993. " Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1749-78, December.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 1994. "Threshold heteroskedastic models," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 931-955, September.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Rabemananjara, R & Zakoian, J M, 1993. "Threshold Arch Models and Asymmetries in Volatility," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(1), pages 31-49, Jan.-Marc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:27909. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.