Decision to make a HOA: Empirical evidence
The data of 82 homeowners associations (HOAs) in Moscow and Perm regions that underpin HOA formation are studied. Physical conditions of the housing stock, size of the buildings and socio-economic parameters of homeowners’ community are revealed; ability of tenants to resolve the collective action problem in operating housing infrastructure is shown to be of primary importance. Thus HOA formation by homeowners is a signal of their ability to manage a house. Wealth and education also matter for the decision to make a HOA.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oriana Bandiera & Iwan Barankay & Imran Rasul, 2005.
"Cooperation in collective action,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 13(3), pages 473-498, 07.
- John F. Helliwell & Robert D. Putnam, 2007.
"Education and Social Capital,"
Eastern Economic Journal,
Eastern Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 1-19, Winter.
- Borisova, Ekaterina I. & Peresetsky, Anatoly & Polishchuk, Leonid, 2010. "Stochastic frontier in non-profit associations’ performance assessment (the case of homeowners’ associations)," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 20(4), pages 75-101.
- Spence, A Michael, 1973. "Job Market Signaling," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 87(3), pages 355-74, August.
- Araral Jr., Eduardo, 2009. "What Explains Collective Action in the Commons? Theory and Evidence from the Philippines," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 687-697, March.
- L. Polishchuk & E. Borisova & A. Peresetsky., 2010. "Managing Common Property in Russian Cities: An Economic Analysis of Homeowners Associations," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 11.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:apltrx:0101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anatoly Peresetsky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.