The relationship between exchange rate and macroeconomic variables in China
The objective of this study is to provide evidences on the relationship between Renminbi (RMB) exchange rate and macroeconomic variables in China, as well as guidelines for reform of RMB exchange rate regime. The long-run equilibrium relationship between RMB exchange rate and macroeconomic variables of China is examined by applying the non-parametric rank tests proposed by Breitung. Furthermore, this study uses the threshold error-correction model (TECM) to detect the nonlinear casual relationship between RMB exchange rate and macroeconomic variables that are nonlinear forms. The results show that RMB exchange rate and macroeconomic variables have nonlinear relationship with each other. In the long run, these results demonstrate solid evidence that RMB exchange rate and macroeconomic variables support the hypothesis of an asymmetrical error-correction process in China. Our results have important policy implications for Chinese government under study.
Volume (Year): 30 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://www.efri.uniri.hr/en/proceedings
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Ouliaris, S, 1990.
"Asymptotic Properties of Residual Based Tests for Cointegration,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 165-93, January.
- Tom Doan, . "POTESTRESIDS: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Ouliaris-Hansen test for Cointegration on 1st stage residuals," Statistical Software Components RTS00248, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "POTEST: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Ouliaris-Hansen test for Cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTS00247, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Sam Ouliaris, 1987. "Asymptotic Properties of Residual Based Tests for Cointegration," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 847R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1988.
- Lu, M. & Zhang, Z., 1998.
"Exchange rate reform and its inflationary consequences: an empirical analysis for China,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
9808, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Maozu Lu & Zhichao Zhang, 2003. "Exchange rate reform and its inflationary consequences: an empirical analysis for China," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(2), pages 189-199.
- Reitz, Stefan & Taylor, Mark P., 2008.
"The coordination channel of foreign exchange intervention: A nonlinear microstructural analysis,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 55-76, January.
- Reitz, Stefan & Taylor, Mark P., 2006. "The coordination channel of foreign exchange intervention: a nonlinear microstructural analysis," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2006,08, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521273015 is not listed on IDEAS
- Taylor, Mark P. & Allen, Helen, 1992. "The use of technical analysis in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 304-314, June.
- Zhang, Zhaoyong, 1998. "Does Devaluation of the Renminbi Improve China’s Balance of Trade?," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 51(3), pages 437-445.
- Chou, W. L., 2000. "Exchange Rate Variability and China's Exports," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 61-79, March.
- Juvenal Luciana & Taylor Mark P., 2008.
"Threshold Adjustment of Deviations from the Law of One Price,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 12(3), pages 1-46, September.
- Luciana Juvenal & Mark P. Taylor, 2008. "Threshold adjustment in deviations from the law of one price," Working Papers 2008-027, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Phylaktis, Kate & Girardin, Eric, 2001. "Foreign exchange markets in transition economies: China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 215-235, February.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
- Zhichao Zhang, 2000. "Exchange Rate Reform in China: An Experiment in the Real Targets Approach," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(8), pages 1057-1081, 08.
- Breitung, Jorg, 2001.
"Rank Tests for Nonlinear Cointegration,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 19(3), pages 331-40, July.
- Zhang, Zhichao, 2001. " China's Exchange Rate Reform and Exports," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 34(1-2), pages 89-112.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Xu, Yingfeng, 2000. "China's exchange rate policy," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 262-277.
- Bradley Ewing & Shawn Forbes & James Payne, 2003. "The effects of macroeconomic shocks on sector-specific returns," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(2), pages 201-207.
- Sarantis, Nicholas, 1999. "Modeling non-linearities in real effective exchange rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 27-45, January.
- Ivan Roberts & Rod Tyers, 2003. "China's Exchange Rate Policy: The Case for Greater Flexibility," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 17(2), pages 155-184, 06.
- Walter Enders & Selahattin Dibooglu, 2001. "Long-Run Purchasing Power Parity with Asymmetric Adjustment," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 433-445, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rfe:zbefri:v:30:y:2012:i:1:p:33-56. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antica Sergovic)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.