Long memory in the Croatian and Hungarian stock market returns
The objective of this paper is to analyze and compare the fractal structure of the Croatian and Hungarian stock market returns. The presence of long memory components in asset returns provides evidence against the weak-form of stock market efficiency. The starting working hypothesis that there is no long memory in the Croatian and Hungarian stock market returns is tested by applying the Kwiatkowski-Phillips-Schmidt-Shin (KPSS) (1992) test, Lo’s (1991) modified rescaled range (R/S) test, and the wavelet ordinary least squares (WOLS) estimator of Jensen (1999). The research showed that the WOLS estimator may lead to different conclusions regarding long memory presence in the stock returns from the KPSS and unit root tests or Lo’s R/S test. Furthermore, it proved that the fractal structure of individual stock returns may be masked in aggregated stock market returns (i.e. in returns of stock index). The main finding of the paper is that both the Croatian stock index Crobex and individual stocks in this index exhibit long memory. Long memory is identified for some stocks in the Hungarian stock market as well, but not for the stock market index BUX. Based on the results of the long memory tests, it can be concluded that while the Hungarian stock market is weak- form efficient, the Croatian stock market is not.
Volume (Year): 30 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://www.efri.uniri.hr/en/proceedingsEmail:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sadique, Shibley & Silvapulle, Param, 2001. "Long-Term Memory in Stock Market Returns: International Evidence," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(1), pages 59-67, January.
- Pilar Grau-Carles, 2005. "Tests of Long Memory: A Bootstrap Approach," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 25(1), pages 103-113, February.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Robert DiSario & Hakan Saraoglu & Joseph McCarthy & H. Li, 2008. "An investigation of long memory in various measures of stock market volatility, using wavelets and aggregate series," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 136-147, April.
- Bogdan Dima & Laura Raisa Milos, 2009. "Testing The Efficiency Market Hypothesis For The Romanian Stock Market," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 1(11), pages 41.
- Chow, K Victor & Pan, Ming-Shium & Sakano, Ryoichi, 1996. " On the Long-Term or Short-Term Dependence in Stock Prices: Evidence from International Stock Markets," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 181-94, March.
- Lobato, Ignacio N & Savin, N E, 1998.
"Real and Spurious Long-Memory Properties of Stock-Market Data,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 261-68, July.
- Lobato, I.N. & Savin, N.E., 1996. "Real and Spurious Long Memory Properties of Stock Market Data," Working Papers 96-07, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- I.N. Lobato & N.E. Savin, 1996. "Real and Spurious Long Memory Properties of Stock Market Data," Econometrics 9605004, EconWPA, revised 26 Sep 1996.
- Jin, Hyun J. & Elder, John & Koo, Won W., 2006.
"A reexamination of fractional integrating dynamics in foreign currency markets,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 120-135.
- Elder, John & Jin, Hyun Joung & Koo, Won W., 2004. "A Reexamination Of Fractional Integrating Dynamics In Foreign Currency Markets," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20004, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Ozdemir, Zeynel Abidin, 2009. "Linkages between international stock markets: A multivariate long-memory approach," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 388(12), pages 2461-2468.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rfe:zbefri:v:30:y:2012:i:1:p:115-139. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antica Sergovic)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.