How to Value the Benefits of a Recreational Area? A Cost-Benefit Analysis of the Conversion of a Brownfield to a Public Beach in Muggia (Italy)
In this paper, we evaluate the potential reconversion to recreational uses of a brownfield area on the shoreline of Muggia (North-East Italy). We perform a Cost-Benefit Analysis of the value to society of such a reconversion compared with alternative scenarios (excavation and Òdo minimumÒ). We investigate why existing methods, including the ÒEconomic ImpactÓ, are not be appropriate to provide normative recommendations. As an alternative, we propose a parsimonious method based on contingent valuation and a pressure-intensity function, for valuing the recreational value in a context where available data are scarce. Our results strongly support the reconversion of the area to recreational functions.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blackwell, Boyd, 2007. "The Value of a Recreational Beach Visit: An Application to Mooloolaba Beach and Comparisons with other Outdoor Recreation Sites," Economic Analysis and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 77-98, March.
- Gopalakrishnan, Sathya & Smith, Martin D. & Slott, Jordan M. & Murray, A. Brad, 2011. "The value of disappearing beaches: A hedonic pricing model with endogenous beach width," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 297-310, May.
- Blackwell, Calvin & Sheldon, Susannah & Lansbury, David & Vaught, Dyanne, 2010. "Beach Re-nourishment and Property Value Growth: The Case of Folly Beach, South Carolina," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 40(3), pages 273-286.
- Kenneth E. McConnell, 1977. "Congestion and Willingness to Pay: A Study of Beach Use," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 53(2), pages 185-195.
- Cordes, Joseph J & Gatzlaff, Dean H & Yezer, Anthony M, 2001. "To the Water's Edge, and Beyond: Effects of Shore Protection Projects on Beach Development," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2-3), pages 287-302, March-May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ren:journl:v:5:y:2013:i:1:p:86-102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Jerzy (Jurek) Konieczny)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.