The economic collapse of Russia
The objective of the paper is to contribute to an explanation of Russia's economic decline during its transition to capitalism. The authors argue that, to an important degree, the dismal performance of the Russian economy stems from the overall vision underpinning the transition to capitalism, and to the specific economic policies emanating from that vision. The paper gives first an account of the basic facts regarding Russia's economic depression in the 1990s, followed by the authors' understanding of some of the main economic policies applied, stressing important peculiarities generally overlooked in most studies. The third section analyzes the impact of some of the main economic policies of the Russian transition and ponders whether better alternatives existed. The fourth section briefly assesses the return of economic growth from 1999 onwards. The last section presents conclusions.
Volume (Year): 58 (2005)
Issue (Month): 232 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.economiacivile.it|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.economiacivile.it|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergei V. Alexashenko & Augusto LÃ³pez-Claros, 1998. "Fiscal Policy; Issues During the Transition in Russia," IMF Occasional Papers 155, International Monetary Fund.
- P. Krugman & L. Taylor, 1976.
"Contractionary Effects of Devaluations,"
191, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Peter Oppenheimer & Brigitte Granville, 2001. "Russiaâ€™s Post-Communist Economy," World Economics, World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE, vol. 2(1), pages 149-168, January.
- Yegor Gaidar & Karl Otto Pöhl, 1995. "Russian Reform / International Money," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262071657, March.
- Jeffrey M. Davis & A. Cheasty, 1996. "Fiscal Transition in Countries of the Former Soviet Union; An Interim Assessment," IMF Working Papers 96/61, International Monetary Fund.
- Schydlowsky, Daniel M., 1984. "A policymaker's guide to comparative advantage," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 439-449, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:psl:bnlqrr:2005:13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo D'Ippoliti)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.