Cambios institucionales en la economía rusa: de las reformas de mercado a la consolidación monetaria
The main characteristic of the transition from a planned to a market economy in Russia has been the barter economy. Firms are using non-monetary transactions as a result of the scarcity of the means of payment and as a means to avoid taxes and reduce fiscal obligations. The barter economy is a rational mechanism of survival and protection from new market reforms, and for taking advantage of the networks inheritated from the centralized period. This non-monetary functioning of the Russian economy has increased the costs of the economic system and new market economy reforms concentrated on monetary consolidation haven’t produced the expected results, because public polices were not credible and policy makers didn’t anticipate the appearance of new firms in the transition period.
Volume (Year): 5 (2003)
Issue (Month): 8 (January-June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cra. 1 No. 12-68 Casa de las Mandolinas|
Phone: (571) 2826066 Ext. 1307
Fax: (571) 2826066 Ext. 1304
Web page: http://www.economiainstitucional.com
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergei V. Alexashenko & Augusto LÃ³pez-Claros, 1998. "Fiscal Policy; Issues During the Transition in Russia," IMF Occasional Papers 155, International Monetary Fund.
- Prendergast, Canice & Stole, Lars, 2000. "Barter relationships," MPRA Paper 33400, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wendy Carlin & Steven Fries & Mark Schaffer & Paul Seabright, 2000. "Barter and Non-Monetary Transactions in Transition Economies: Evidence from a Cross-Country Survey," CERT Discussion Papers 0004, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Jan Amrit Poser, 1998. "Monetary disruptions and the emergence of barter in FSU economies," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 157-177.
- Ickes, B.W. & Ryterman, R., 1993. "Roadblock to Economic Reform: Inter-Enterprise Debt and the Transition to Markets," Papers 2-93-1, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rei:ecoins:v:5:y:2003:i:8:p:66-91. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paola Rodríguez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.