The Eurosystem operational framework, use of colleteral and liquidity distribution in the euro area: towards a single interbank market?
This paper analyses the current operational framework chosen to implement singlemonetary policy in the euro area, pointing out the effects of certain technical choices in the field of monetary policy instruments on the interbank market and bank treasuries. In particular, I examine how the tender typology adopted for main refinancing operations affects overbidding and underbidding, as well as efficiency in bank liquidity management. I then go on to analyse the technical features of unsecured interbank markets in the euro area in order to determine whether a screen-based framework leads to more efficient liquidity management than achieved in over-the-counter markets. In accordance with the averaging provision mechanism, minimum reserves during the maintenance period in Italy, where the interbankmarket is electronic-based, are taken as indicators of efficiency in this market. On the evidence of the data, it seems that Italian banks can reduce the opportunity cost of maintaining minimum reserves, also performing intertemporal arbitrages between theinterbank market and their reserve accounts. Finally, the focus comes on cross border differences in the use of collateral within the euro area in order to analyse the projects currently debated for the reform of collateral lists.
Volume (Year): 57 (2004)
Issue (Month): 228 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.economiacivile.it|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.economiacivile.it|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paolo Angelini, 2008.
"Liquidity And Announcement Effects In The Euro Area,"
Giornale degli Economisti,
GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 67(1), pages 1-20, March.
- Paolo Angelini, 2002. "Liquidity and Announcement Effects in the Euro Area," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 451, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Tobias Linzert & Dieter Nautz & Jorg Breitung, 2004.
"Bidder behaviour in repo auctions without minimum bid rate: evidence from the Bundesbank,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003
55, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Nautz, Dieter & Linzert, Tobias & Breitung, Jörg, 2003. "Bidder Behavior in Repo Auctions without Minimum Bid Rate: Evidence from the Bundesbank," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2003,13, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Bindseil, Ulrich & Nyborg, Kjell G & Strebulaev, Ilya, 2004.
"Bidding and Performance in Repo Auctions: Evidence from ECB Open Market Operations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4367, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kjell G. Nyborg & Ulrich Bindseil & Ilya A. Strebulaev, 2005. "Bidding and Performance in Repo Auctions: Evidence from ECB Open Market Operations," Working Papers 2005.92, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Nyborg, Kjell G. & Strebulaev, Ilya A. & Bindseil, Ulrich, 2002. "Bidding and performance in repo auctions: evidence from ECB open market operations," Working Paper Series 0157, European Central Bank.
- Bindseil, Ulrich & Nyborg, Kjell G. & Strebulaev, Ilya A., 2005. "Bidding and Performance in Repo Auctions: Evidence from ECB Open Market Operations," Discussion Papers 2005/13, Department of Business and Management Science, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Bindseil, Ulrich & Nyborg, Kjell G. & Strebulaev, Ilya A., 2004. "Bidding and Performance in Repo Auctions: Evidence from ECB Open Market Operations," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt9878h0kn, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Dieter Nautz & Jörg Oechssler, 2003.
"The Repo Auctions of the European Central Bank and the Vanishing Quota Puzzle,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 105(2), pages 207-220, 06.
- Nautz, Dieter & Oechssler, Jörg, 1999. "The repo auctions of the European Central Bank and the vanishing quota puzzle," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1999,79, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Dieter Nautz & Jörg Oechssler, 2001. "The Repo Auctions of the European Central Bank and the Vanishing Quota Puzzle," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse9_2001, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Manna, Michele & Manzanares, Andres, 2001.
"The Microstructure of the Euro Money Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3081, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Leinonen, Harry, 1998. "Interbank funds transfer systems : Liquidity needs, counterparty risks and collateral," Research Discussion Papers 16/1998, Bank of Finland.
- Juan Ayuso & Rafael Repullo, 2003.
"A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(490), pages 883-902, October.
- Juan Ayuso & Rafael Repullo, 2000. "A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank," Working Papers 0016, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Ayuso, J. & Repullo, R., 2000. "A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank," Papers 0011, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Ayuso, Juan & Repullo, Rafael, 2000. "A Model of the Open Market Operations of the European Central Bank," CEPR Discussion Papers 2605, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Freixas, Xavier & Holthausen, Cornelia, 2001.
"Interbank market integration under asymmetric information,"
Working Paper Series
0074, European Central Bank.
- Xavier Freixas, 2005. "Interbank Market Integration under Asymmetric Information," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(2), pages 459-490.
- Freixas, X. & Holthausen, C., 2001. "Interbank Market Integration under Asymmetric Information," Papers 74, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Xavier Freixas & Cornelia Holthausen, 2001. "Interbank market integration under asymmetric information," Economics Working Papers 579, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Välimäki, Tuomas, 2002. "Variable rate liquidity tenders," Research Discussion Papers 24/2002, Bank of Finland.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:psl:bnlqrr:2004:13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo D'Ippoliti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.