A Note on the Use of Debt by Venture Capital Backed Firms
Much of the current research regarding the venture capitalist examines samples of venture capital (VC) backed firms rather than the venture capitalist itself. While VC backed firms may represent the most reasonable proxy available for the study of the venture capitalist, consideration of firm-specific characteristics may need to be included to mitigate biased conclusions. Controlling for the determinants of capital structure, we examine the persistence of previously noted differences in capital structure choice and find that VC backing does not systematically alter the use of debt by firms. These results suggest that not controlling for firm specific differences when contrasting VC and non-VC backed firms may lead to inaccurate conclusions in venture capital research.
Volume (Year): 5 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (Fall)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 24255 Pacific Coast Hwy, Malibu CA|
Web page: http://bschool.pepperdine.edu/jef
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Megginson, William L & Weiss, Kathleen A, 1991. " Venture Capitalist Certification in Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(3), pages 879-903, July.
- Titman, Sheridan & Wessels, Roberto, 1988. " The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Bentler, P. M., 1983. "Simultaneous equation systems as moment structure models : With an introduction to latent variable models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1-2), pages 13-42.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Sahlman, William A., 1990. "The structure and governance of venture-capital organizations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 473-521, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pep:journl:v:5:y:1996:i:3:p:287-93. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Craig Everett)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.