Tax Planning by Mutual Funds: Evidence From Changes in the Capital Gains Tax Rate
We investigate whether mutual funds engage in tax planning by testing how they respond to changes in the capital gains tax rates. While previous evidence suggests that individual investors time capital gains realizations, mutual fund managers may not tax plan like individuals because fund managers have incentives to consider the tax liability of both current and potential investors. Our analysis spans over 44 years and six major tax changes, allowing us to examine the effects of both tax rate increases and decreases. Overall, we find evidence consistent with tax planning by managers of both open-end and closed-end mutual funds.
Volume (Year): 64 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 529 14th Street NW Suite 750, Washington DC 20045|
Web page: https://www.ntanet.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Himmelberg, C.P. & Hubbard, R.G. & Palia, D., 1997.
"Understanding the Determinants of Mangerial Ownership and the Link Between Ownership and Performance,"
97-21, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Himmelberg, Charles P. & Hubbard, R. Glenn & Palia, Darius, 1999. "Understanding the determinants of managerial ownership and the link between ownership and performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 353-384, September.
- Charles P. Himmelberg & R. Glenn Hubbard & Darius Palia, 2000. "Understanding the Determinants of Managerial Ownership and the Link Between Ownership and Performance," NBER Working Papers 7209, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gibson, Scott & Safieddine, Assem & Titman, Sheridan, 2000. "Tax-Motivated Trading and Price Pressure: An Analysis of Mutual Fund Holdings," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(03), pages 369-386, September.
- repec:ntj:journl:v:45:y:1992:i:no._2:p:167-77 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:ntj:journl:v:53:y:2000:i:n._3:p:663-82 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jennifer L. Blouin & Jana Smith Raedy & Douglas A. Shackelford, 2003. "Capital Gains Taxes and Equity Trading: Empirical Evidence," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(4), pages 611-651, 09.
- Plancich, Stephanie, 2003. "Mutual Fund Capital Gain Distributions and the Tax Reform Act of 1997," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 56(1), pages 271-296, March.
- Barclay, Michael J. & Pearson, Neil D. & Weisbach, Michael S., 1998. "Open-end mutual funds and capital-gains taxes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 3-43, July.
- Eichner, Matthew & Sinai, Todd, 2000. "Capital Gains Tax Realizations and Tax Rates: New Evidence From Time Series," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 53(3), pages 663-682, September.
- Li Jin, 2006. "Capital Gains Tax Overhang and Price Pressure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(3), pages 1399-1431, 06.
- Burman, Leonard E. & Clausing, Kimberly A. & O'Hare, John F., 1994. "Tax Reform and Realizations of Capital Gains in 1986," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 47(1), pages 1-18, March.
- Gillingham, Robert & Greenlees, John S., 1992. "The Effect of Marginal Tax Rates on Capital Gains Revenue: Another Look at the Evidence," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 45(2), pages 167-177, June.
- Seyhun, H Nejat & Skinner, Douglas J, 1994. "How Do Taxes Affect Investors' Stock Market Realizations? Evidence from Tax-Return Panel Data," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67(2), pages 231-262, April.
- William Rogers, 1993. "Quantile regression standard errors," Stata Technical Bulletin, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(9).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ntj:journl:v:64:y:2011:i:1:p:105-34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (A. Sinan Unur)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.