Efficiency of Infrastructure Capital in Russia
Aim of the study is to estimate contribution of infrastructure capital in labor productivity in Russia. We measure stock of the traditional infrastructure sectors: communication, railways and paved roads. The idea of the econometric estimates is to expand a production function including infrastructure capital stock and spatial externalities of neighboring regions. The results show that transport infrastructure does not contribute to productivity, impact of communication infrastructure is positive and significant, spatial spillovers generated by infrastructure are different for western and eastern parts of Russia.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Nakhimovsky prospekt, 32, Office 1115, 117218 Moscow Russia|
Phone: +7 495 7189855
Fax: +7 495 7189855
Web page: http://www.econorus.org/english.phtml
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morrison, Catherine J & Schwartz, Amy Ellen, 1996.
"State Infrastructure and Productive Performance,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1095-1111, December.
- Martin, Philippe & Rogers, Carol Ann, 1995.
"Industrial location and public infrastructure,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 335-351, November.
- Jeffrey Cohen & Kristen Monaco, 2008. "Ports and Highways Infrastructure," International Regional Science Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 31(3), pages 257-274, July.
- Peter Pedroni & David Canning, 2004. "The Effect of Infrastructure on Long Run Economic Growth," Department of Economics Working Papers 2004-04, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Aschauer, David Alan, 1989.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 177-200, March.
- M. Ishaq Nadiri & Theofanis P. Mamuneas, 1991.
"The Effects of Public Infrastructure and R&D Capital on the Cost Structure and Performance of U.S. Manufacturing Industries,"
NBER Working Papers
3887, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nadiri, M Ishaq & Mamuneas, Theofanis P, 1994. "The Effects of Public Infrastructure and R&D Capital on the Cost Structure and Performance of U.S. Manufacturing Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 22-37, February.
- Nadiri, M. Ishaq & Mamuneas, Theofanis P., 1991. "The Effects of Public Infrastructure and R&D Capital on the Cost Structure and Performance of U.S. Manufacturing Industries," Working Papers 91-57, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Stephane Straub, 2007.
"Infrastructure and Development: A Critical Appraisal of the Macro-level Literature,"
ESE Discussion Papers
178, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Stephane Straub, 2011. "Infrastructure and Development: A Critical Appraisal of the Macro-level Literature," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(5), pages 683-708.
- Straub, Stephane, 2008. "Infrastructure and development : a critical appraisal of the macro level literature," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4590, The World Bank.
- Balazs Egert & Tomasz Kozluk & Douglas Sutherland, 2009.
"Infrastructure and Growth: Empirical Evidence,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp957, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Balázs Égert & Tomasz Koźluk & Douglas Sutherland, 2009. "Infrastructure and Growth: Empirical Evidence," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 685, OECD Publishing.
- Balazs Egert & Tomasz Kozluk & Douglas Sutherland, 2009. "Infrastructure and Growth: Empirical Evidence," CESifo Working Paper Series 2700, CESifo Group Munich.
- Taylor Reynolds, 2009. "The Role of Communication Infrastructure Investment in Economic Recovery," OECD Digital Economy Papers 154, OECD Publishing.
- John G. Fernald, 1997.
"Roads to prosperity? assessing the link between public capital and productivity,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
592, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- John G. Fernald, 1999. "Roads to Prosperity? Assessing the Link between Public Capital and Productivity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 619-638, June.
- Olivier Cadot & Lars-Hendrik Röller & Andreas Stephan, 2004.
"Contribution to Productivity or Pork Barrel?: The Two Faces of Infrastructure Investment,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
458, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Cadot, Olivier & Roller, Lars-Hendrik & Stephan, Andreas, 2006. "Contribution to productivity or pork barrel? The two faces of infrastructure investment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(6-7), pages 1133-1153, August.
- Olivier Cadot & Lars-Hendrik Röller & Andreas Stephan, 2002. "Contribution to Productivity or Pork Barrel? The Two Faces of Infrastructure Investment," CIG Working Papers FS IV 02-09, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Andrew F. Haughwout, 2000.
"Public infrastructure investments, productivity and welfare in fixed geographic areas,"
104, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Haughwout, Andrew F., 2002. "Public infrastructure investments, productivity and welfare in fixed geographic areas," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 405-428, March.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas, 1994. "Public-Sector Capital and the Productivity Puzzle," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(1), pages 12-21, February.
- Straub, Stephane & Vellutini, Charles & Warlters, Michael, 2008. "Infrastructure and economic growth in East Asia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4589, The World Bank.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Lovely, Mary E., 1996.
"Scale economies, returns to variety, and the productivity of public infrastructure,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 105-123, April.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & Mary E. Lovely, 1995. "Scale Economies, Returns to Variety, and the Productivity of Public Infrastructure," NBER Working Papers 5295, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosina Moreno & Enrique LÃ³pez-Bazo, 2007. "Returns to Local and Transport Infrastructure under Regional Spillovers," International Regional Science Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 30(1), pages 47-71, January.
- Philippe Aghion & Mark Schankerman, 1999. "Competition, entry and the social returns to infrastructure in transition economies," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 7(1), pages 79-101, March.
- Aghion, Philippe & Schankerman, Mark, 1999. "Competition, Entry, and the Social Returns to Infrastructure in Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 2052, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andreas Stephan, 1997. "The Impact of Road Infrastructure on Productivity and Growth: Some Preliminary Results for the German Manufacturing Sector," CIG Working Papers FS IV 97-47, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Norton, Seth W, 1992. "Transaction Costs, Telecommunications, and the Microeconomics of Macroeconomic Growth," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(1), pages 175-96, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nea:journl:y:2011:i:10:p:74-93. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexey Tcharykov)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.