Has the Special Economic Zone Approach Improve Ghana¡¯s Competitiveness in the Global Market?
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Wu, Huaqing & Lv, Kui & Liang, Liang & Hu, Hanhui, 2017. "Measuring performance of sustainable manufacturing with recyclable wastes: A case from China’s iron and steel industry," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 66(PA), pages 38-47.
- Aryee, Benjamin N. A., 2001. "Ghana's mining sector: its contribution to the national economy," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 61-75, June.
- Balassa, Bela, 1977. "'Revealed' Comparative Advantage Revisited: An Analysis of Relative Export Shares of the Industrial Countries, 1953-1971," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 45(4), pages 327-344, December.
- Zeng,Zhihua, 2015. "Global experiences with special economic zones : focus on China and Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7240, The World Bank.
- Thomas Farole, 2011. "Special Economic Zones in Africa : Comparing Performance and Learning from Global Experience," World Bank Publications - Books, The World Bank Group, number 2268, November.
- Litwack, John M. & Qian, Yingyi, 1998. "Balanced or Unbalanced Development: Special Economic Zones as Catalysts for Transition," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 117-141, March.
- Chi‐Keung Lau & Kin‐Man To & Zhiming Zhang & Jing Chen, 2009. "Determinants of Competitiveness: Observations in China's Textile and Apparel Industries," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 17(2), pages 45-64, March.
- Måns S–derbom & Francis Teal, 2003. "Are Manufacturing Exports the Key to Economic Success in Africa?," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 12(1), pages 1-29, March.
- Cudjoe, Godsway & Breisinger, Clemens & Diao, Xinshen, 2010. "Local impacts of a global crisis: Food price transmission, consumer welfare and poverty in Ghana," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 294-302, August.
- Addy, Samuel N, 1998. "Ghana: revival of the mineral sector," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 229-239, December.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Ronald B. Davies & Rodolphe Desbordes, 2018. "Export Processing Zones and the Composition of Greenfield FDI," Working Papers 201807, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Teresa Cheng, SC, . "From special economic zones to greater special economic region – Hong Kong Special Administrative Region as a model for legal infrastructure design," UNCTAD Transnational Corporations Journal, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Ronald B. Davies, T. Huw Edwards, and Arman Mazhikeyev, 2018.
"The Impact of Special Economic Zones on Electricity Intensity of Firms,"
The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I).
- Ronald B. Davies & T. Huw Edwards & Arman Mazhikeyev, 2016. "The Impact of Special Economic Zones on Electricity Intensity of Firms," Working Papers 201615, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Khan, Karim, 2019. "Special Economic Zones (SEZs) and Prospects for the Domestic Economy of Pakistan," MPRA Paper 103337, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pereira, Vijay & Tuffour, James & Patnaik, Swetketu & Temouri, Yama & Malik, Ashish & Singh, Sanjay Kumar, 2021. "The quest for CSR: Mapping responsible and irresponsible practices in an intra-organizational context in Ghana’s gold mining industry," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(C), pages 268-281.
- Neelum Nigar & Unbreen Qayyum, 2021. "Special Economic Zones and The State of Pakistan’s Economy," PIDE Knowledge Brief 2021:27, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Sina Hardaker, 2020. "Embedded Enclaves? Initial Implications of Development of Special Economic Zones in Myanmar," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan;European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes (EADI), vol. 32(2), pages 404-430, April.
- Page, John, 2012. "Aid, Structural Change and the Private Sector in Africa," WIDER Working Paper Series 021, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Moberg, Lotta, 2015. "The political economy of special economic zones," Journal of Institutional Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(1), pages 167-190, March.
- Andrés Rodríguez‐Pose & Federico Bartalucci & Susanne A. Frick & Amelia U. Santos‐Paulino & Richard Bolwijn, 2022. "The challenge of developing special economic zones in Africa: Evidence and lessons learnt," Regional Science Policy & Practice, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 456-481, April.
- Yelpaala, Kaakpema & Ali, Saleem H., 2005. "Multiple scales of diamond mining in Akwatia, Ghana: addressing environmental and human development impact," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 145-155, September.
- Ana Margarida Fernandes & Hibret Maemir & Aaditya Mattoo & Alejandro Forero, 2019.
"Are trade preferences a panacea? The African growth and opportunity act and African exports,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
- Fernandes,Ana Margarida & Forero,Alejandro & Maemir,Hibret Belete & Mattoo,Aaditya, 2019. "Are Trade Preferences a Panacea? : The African Growth and Opportunity Act and African Exports," Policy Research Working Paper Series 8753, The World Bank.
- Lotta Moberg & Vlad Tarko, 2021. "Special economic zones and liberalization avalanches," Journal of Entrepreneurship and Public Policy, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 10(1), pages 120-139, February.
- Jerónimo Carballo & Ignacio Marra de Artiñano & Christian Volpe Martincus, 2021. "Information Frictions, Investment Promotion, and Multinational Production: Firm-Level Evidence," CESifo Working Paper Series 9043, CESifo.
- John Page, 2012. "Aid, Structural Change and the Private Sector in Africa," WIDER Working Paper Series wp-2012-021, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Jaroslaw M. Nazarczuk & Marlena Cicha-Nazarczuk, 2021. "What are the Key Location Factors for Firms in Special Economic Zones? Evidence from Poland," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(1), pages 147-160.
- Ronald B. Davies & Arman Mazhikeyev, 2019.
"The Impact of Special Economic Zones on Exporting Behavior,"
Review of Economic Analysis, Digital Initiatives at the University of Waterloo Library, vol. 11(1), pages 145-174, July.
- Ronald B. Davies & Arman Mazhikeyev, 2015. "The Impact of Special Economic Zones on Exporting Behavior," Working Papers 201528, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Tuokuu, Francis Xavier Dery & Gruber, James S. & Idemudia, Uwafiokun & Kayira, Jean, 2018. "Challenges and opportunities of environmental policy implementation: Empirical evidence from Ghana's gold mining sector," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 435-445.
- Douglas Zhihua Zeng, 2016. "Global Experiences of Special Economic Zones with Focus on China and Africa: Policy Insights," Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy (JICEP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 7(03), pages 1-27, October.
- Abdul-Gafaru Abdulai, 2017. "Competitive clientelism and the political economy of mining in Ghana," Global Development Institute Working Paper Series esid-078-17, GDI, The University of Manchester.
More about this item
KeywordsGhana; Special Economic Zones; Revealed Comparative Advantage; Trade; Export patterns; Free zones;
All these keywords.
- R00 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General - - - General
- Z0 - Other Special Topics - - General
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mth:ber888:v:7:y:2017:i:2:p:19-34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: http://www.macrothink.org/journal/index.php/ber .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Technical Support Office The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Technical Support Office to update the entry or send us the correct address (email available below). General contact details of provider: http://www.macrothink.org/journal/index.php/ber .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.