Should I Stay or Should I Go? Regional Mobility and Social Capital
This paper explores the effect of social capital on mobility, and the role of mobility in the decision to invest in social capital. At the end of a period, in which individuals work and invest in regionally immobile social capital, there may be an income shock. Given a negative shock, individuals have to decide whether to move so they can maintain their income but lose social capital, or to stay in the region, accepting the income loss but retaining their social capital. As a result, the effects of labour market shocks on mobility patterns depend on social environments.
Volume (Year): 167 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/jite|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Denice DiPasquale & Edward L. Glaeser, 1997.
"Incentives and Social Capital: Are Homeowners Better Citizens?,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1815, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- DiPasquale, Denise & Glaeser, Edward L., 1999. "Incentives and Social Capital: Are Homeowners Better Citizens?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 354-384, March.
- Denise DiPasquale & Edward L. Glaeser, 1998. "Incentives and Social Capital: Are Homeowners Better Citizens?," NBER Working Papers 6363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mincer, Jacob, 1978.
"Family Migration Decisions,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 749-773, October.
- Quentin David & Alexandre Janiak & Etienne Wasmer, 2008.
"Local social capital and geographical mobility. A theory,"
Documentos de Trabajo
248, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- David, Quentin & Janiak, Alexandre & Wasmer, Etienne, 2008. "Local Social Capital and Geographical Mobility: A Theory," IZA Discussion Papers 3668, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Quentin David & Alexandre Janiak & Etienne Wasmer, 2008. "Local Social Capital and Geographical Mobility: A Theory," Working Papers hal-00972827, HAL.
- Alexandre Janiak & Quentin David & Etienne Wasmer, 2008. "Local Social Capital and Geographical Mobility: A Theory," Sciences Po publications 3668, Sciences Po.
- Edward L. Glaeser & David Laibson & Bruce Sacerdote, 2002. "An Economic Approach to Social Capital," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(483), pages 437-458, November.
- Epstein, Gil S. & Gang, Ira N., 2004.
"The Influence of Others on Migration Plans,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1244, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kan, Kamhon, 2007.
"Residential mobility and social capital,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 436-457, May.
- repec:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/10055 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:jinste:urn:sici:0932-4569(201109)167:3_434:sisosi_2.0.tx_2-e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.