Regulating a Multiproduct Monopolist with Unknown Demand: Cross-Subsidization and Countervailing Incentives
This paper studies the regulation of a multiproduct monopolist that has private information about demand conditions. In particular, we consider the regulation of a two-product monopolist with interdependent demands when it has better information concerning the demand of one product than the regulator and public funds are costly. We show that the optimal regulation policy in this case crucially depends on whether goods are substitutes or complements. Cross-subsidization arises with demand complementarities, making it likely that countervailing incentives characterize the optimal contract.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 164 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/jite|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Armstrong, Mark & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1999. "Multi-dimensional screening:: A user's guide," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 959-979, April.
- R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), 1989. "Handbook of Industrial Organization," Handbook of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, edition 1, volume 2, number 2.
- Bernard Caillaud & Patrick Rey & Roger Guesnerie & Jean Tirole, 1987.
"Government Intervention in Production and Incentives Theory: A Review of Recent Contributions,"
472, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- B. Caillaud & R. Guesnerie & P. Rey & J. Tirole, 1988. "Government Intervention in Production and Incentives Theory: A Review of Recent Contributions," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(1), pages 1-26, Spring.
- R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), 1989. "Handbook of Industrial Organization," Handbook of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, edition 1, volume 1, number 1.
- Takanori Adachi, 2005. "Third-Degree Price Discrimination, Consumption Externalities and Social Welfare," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 72(285), pages 171-178, 02.
- Armstrong, Mark, 1999. "Optimal Regulation with Unknown Demand and Cost Functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 196-215, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:jinste:urn:sici:0932-4569(200812)164:4_652:rammwu_2.0.tx_2-7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.