Productive Government Expenditure and Fiscal Sustainability
We consider an overlapping-generations model in which public spending directly contributes to an increase in productivity, as in the model of Barro (1990), and in which the government maintains constant ratios of public spending to GDP and of debt issuance to public spending. We numerically analyze the effects of a change of public-spending/GDP on fiscal sustainability, growth rate, and welfare. First, if that ratio is small, an increase in it makes public debt sustainable. Second, if it is small, then an increase in it is Pareto improving.
Volume (Year): 67 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.mohr.de/fa|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chalk, Nigel A., 2000. "The sustainability of bond-financed deficits: An overlapping generations approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 293-328, April.
- Futagami, Koichi & Morita, Yuichi & Shibata, Akihisa, 1993. " Dynamic Analysis of an Endogenous Growth Model with Public Capital," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(4), pages 607-25, December.
- Barro, R.J., 1988.
"Government Spending In A Simple Model Of Endogenous Growth,"
RCER Working Papers
130, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Barro, Robert J, 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S103-26, October.
- Barro, Robert J., 1990. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogeneous Growth," Scholarly Articles 3451296, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Robert J. Barro, 1988. "Government Spending in a Simple Model of Endogenous Growth," NBER Working Papers 2588, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rankin, N. & Roffia, B., 1999.
"Maximum Sustainable Government Debt in the Overlapping Generations Model,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
521, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Neil Rankin & Barbara Roffia, 2003. "Maximum Sustainable Government Debt in the Overlapping Generations Model," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 71(3), pages 217-241, 06.
- Rankin, Neil & Roffia, Barbara, 1999. "Maximum Sustainable Government Debt in the Overlapping Generations Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 2076, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Futagami, Koichi & Shibata, Akihisa, 2003.
"Budget Deficits and Economic Growth,"
133, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mhr:finarc:urn:sici:0015-2218(291112)67:4_327:pgeafs_2.0.tx_2-3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Wolpert)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.