Evidence of Fire-Sale M&A in European Transition Countries
The aim of this paper is to determine differences in variables that create investment climate and therefore affect the values of incoming crossborder M&A in selected European transition countries. Cluster analysis for 1999 and 2007 shows that countries with unfavourable investment climate received high levels of incoming cross-border M&A. Sole country in the cluster characterised by healthy investment area (Slovenia) had the highest GDP per capita accompanied with the lowest values of incoming cross-border M&A relative to its GDP. These results could be interpreted as an evidence of fire-sale M&A in most European transition countries. In 2010, situation changed and although recession left trace, data on cross-border M&A indicate that foreign investors focused more on companies which operated in countries with healthier economy. These results indicate that a healthy investment climate is necessary to provide a sustainable economic development of a country.
Volume (Year): 10 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter) ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cankarjeva 5, SI-6104 Koper, PO BOX 345|
Phone: 05 610 20 00
Fax: 05 610 20 15
Web page: http://www.mgt.fm-kp.si
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.mgt.fm-kp.si Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2008:i:8:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nicolas Coeurdacier & Roberto A. De Santis & Antonin Aviat, 2009.
"Cross-border mergers and acquisitions and European integration,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 24, pages 55-106, 01.
- Nicolas Coeurdacier & Roberto A. de Santis & Antonin Aviat, 2009. "Cross-border mergers and acquisitions and European integration," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Gunther Tichy, 2001. "What Do We Know about Success and Failure of Mergers?—Rejoinder," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 431-440, December.
- Deng, Ping, 2009. "Why do Chinese firms tend to acquire strategic assets in international expansion?," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 74-84, January.
- Nocke, Volker & Yeaple, Stephen, 2007. "Cross-border mergers and acquisitions vs. greenfield foreign direct investment: The role of firm heterogeneity," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 336-365, July.
- Gunther Tichy, 2001. "What Do We Know about Success and Failure of Mergers?," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 347-394, December.
- Ang, James & Mauck, Nathan, 2011. "Fire sale acquisitions: Myth vs. reality," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 532-543, March.
- Hea-Jung Hyun & Hyuk Hwang Kim, 2007. "The Determinants of Cross-border M&As : the Role of Institutions and Financial Development in Gravity Model," Finance Working Papers 21934, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Miriam Manchin, 2004. "Determinants of European cross-border mergers and acquisitions," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 212, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mgt:youmgt:v:10:y:2012:i:4:p:325-340. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alen Jezovnik)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.