Evidence of Fire-Sale M&A in European Transition Countries
The aim of this paper is to determine differences in variables that create investment climate and therefore affect the values of incoming crossborder M&A in selected European transition countries. Cluster analysis for 1999 and 2007 shows that countries with unfavourable investment climate received high levels of incoming cross-border M&A. Sole country in the cluster characterised by healthy investment area (Slovenia) had the highest GDP per capita accompanied with the lowest values of incoming cross-border M&A relative to its GDP. These results could be interpreted as an evidence of fire-sale M&A in most European transition countries. In 2010, situation changed and although recession left trace, data on cross-border M&A indicate that foreign investors focused more on companies which operated in countries with healthier economy. These results indicate that a healthy investment climate is necessary to provide a sustainable economic development of a country.
Volume (Year): 10 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter) ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cankarjeva 5, SI-6104 Koper, PO BOX 345|
Phone: 05 610 20 00
Fax: 05 610 20 15
Web page: http://www.mgt.fm-kp.si
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.mgt.fm-kp.si Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicolas Coeurdacier & Roberto A. de Santis & Antonin Aviat, 2009.
"Cross-border mergers and acquisitions and European integration,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Nicolas Coeurdacier & Roberto A. De Santis & Antonin Aviat, 2009. "Cross-border mergers and acquisitions and European integration," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 24, pages 55-106, 01.
- Hea-Jung Hyun & Hyuk Hwang Kim, 2007. "The Determinants of Cross-border M&As : the Role of Institutions and Financial Development in Gravity Model," Finance Working Papers 21934, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Gunther Tichy, 2001. "What Do We Know about Success and Failure of Mergers?," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 347-394, December.
- Gunther Tichy, 2001. "What Do We Know about Success and Failure of Mergers?—Rejoinder," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 431-440, December.
- Deng, Ping, 2009. "Why do Chinese firms tend to acquire strategic assets in international expansion?," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 74-84, January.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2008:i:8:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ang, James & Mauck, Nathan, 2011. "Fire sale acquisitions: Myth vs. reality," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 532-543, March.
- Nocke, Volker & Yeaple, Stephen, 2007. "Cross-border mergers and acquisitions vs. greenfield foreign direct investment: The role of firm heterogeneity," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 336-365, July.
- Miriam Manchin, 2004. "Determinants of European cross-border mergers and acquisitions," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 212, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mgt:youmgt:v:10:y:2012:i:4:p:325-340. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alen Jezovnik)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.