Finding out Factors Affecting Tele-density Growth in Pakistan (1997-2011)
The main objective of this study is to find impact of Telecom foreign direct investment (FDI), Gross Domestic Product (GDP) Per capita and cellular subscriber on Tele-density growth in Pakistan. It is well known fact that Tele-density growth has been observed in Pakistan during last few years. It happened due to privatization, market independence, increase in real GDP per capita income, increase in subscribers and flexible government policies. This is an exploratory research based on the secondary data. The research model embedded in this study is extracted from linear regression that enables us to measure the impact of explanatory variables on Tele-density growth. These variables used in this model are Telecom FDI, real per Capita GDP and Number of Cellular subscribers of Pakistan. Time series data of last 15 years i.e. from 1997 to 2011 was analyzed. The chosen model has been verified with the results, the model is overall significant with probability (F-statistic) = 0.01. On the other hand, two explanatory variables (Telecom FDI and GDP per Capita) show insignificant impact on Tele-density growth. Only one explanatory variable (cellular subscriber) has significant impact on Tele-density growth. Results can set the stage for future research, with the exception of the privatization strategy, governmental and nongovernmental stakeholders agreed on all strategies.
Volume (Year): 5 (2012)
Issue (Month): (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://kasbit.edu.pk/academics/academic-departments/marketing-management/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Djiofack-Zebaze, Calvin & Keck, Alexander, 2009. "Telecommunications Services in Africa: The Impact of WTO Commitments and Unilateral Reform on Sector Performance and Economic Growth," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 919-940, May.
- Guasch, J Luis & Hahn, Robert W, 1999.
"The Costs and Benefits of Regulation: Implications for Developing Countries,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 137-58, February.
- Guasch, J. Luis & Hahn, Robert W., 1997. "The costs and benefits of regulation : implications for developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1773, The World Bank.
- repec:reg:rpubli:120 is not listed on IDEAS
- Li, Wei & Xu, Lixin Colin, 2004. "The Impact of Privatization and Competition in the Telecommunications Sector around the World," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(2), pages 395-430, October.
- Calvin Djiofack-Zebaze & Alexander Keck, 2009. "Telecommunications Services in Africa: The Impact of WTO Commitments and Unilateral Reform on Sector Performance and Economic Growth," Post-Print hal-00387976, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ksb:journl:v:5:y:2012:p:10-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yasir Jaseem)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.