The synchronization of business cycles across the European Community
The recent adoption of the Delors Report brings into question the extent of the EC integration and the costs to individual countries of continued integration. In this paper we address this question by comparing EC countries to non-EC countries, specifically comparing the extent to which domestic policies are coordinated. We find a strong coordination between EC countries as compared to non-EC countries. However, Italy shows up as a persistent outlier in the EC, requiring a reformulation of domestic policy goals if continued integration is desired. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1992
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L. Wade, 1988. "Review," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 58(1), pages 99-100, July.
- Barro, Robert J., 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
3451399, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alan C. Stockman, 1987.
"Sectoral and National Aggregate Disturbances to Industrial Output in Seven European Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
2313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stockman, Alan C., 1988. "Sectoral and national aggregate disturbances to industrial output in seven European countries," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 387-409.
- Frank, Murray & Gencay, Ramazan & Stengos, Thanasis, 1988. "International chaos?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1569-1584, October.
- Stefan C. Norrbin, 1988. "Determinants of Differences in Regional Cyclical Variability," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 18(3), pages 16-22, Fall.
- John Y. Campbell & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1988.
"International Evidence on the Persistence of Economic Fluctuations,"
NBER Working Papers
2498, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John Y. & Mankiw, N. Gregory, 1989. "International evidence on the persistence of economic fluctuations," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 319-333, March.
- Mankiw, N. Gregory & Campbell, John, 1989. "International Evidence on the Persistence of Economic Fluctuations," Scholarly Articles 3224417, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Norrbin, Stefan C. & Schlagenhauf, Don E., 1988. "An inquiry into the sources of macroeconomic fluctuations," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 43-70, July.
- Wyplosz, Charles, 1989. "Asymmetry in the EMS: Intentional or systemic?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(2-3), pages 310-320, March.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre & Girardin, Michel, 1989. "Business cycles in Switzerland : A comparative study," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 31-50, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:openec:v:3:y:1992:i:3:p:233-253. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.