The Characteristics of Takeover Targets: The Spanish Experience 1991–1997
In this paper we analyse the characteristicspresented by Spanish firms that have been thesubject of takeover bids that allow them to bedifferentiated from other firms. To that end,we use a sample made-up of 69 non-financialfirms that were the subject of takeover bids inSpain during the period 1991–1997, togetherwith a further 69, selected randomly on anindustrial and time basis, that were not. Theresults show that the firms that were subjectto a takeover bid were not, in general,characterised by having lower profitability ora worse market valuation than other firmsoperating in the same sector. This resultmakes it difficult to argue that takeovers inSpain have in their majority been driven bydisciplinary or speculative motives. Bycontrast, certain variables that exert aninfluence over the cost of the transaction,such as the size and the ownership structure ofthe firm, do appear to play a relevant role inthe selection of the target on the part of thebidding firm. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2003
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ronan G. Powell, 1997. "Modelling Takeover Likelihood," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(7&8), pages 1009-1030.
- Barnes, Paul, 1999. " Predicting UK Takeover Targets: Some Methodological Issues and an Empirical Study," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 283-301, May.
- Eckbo, B. Espen & Langohr, Herwig, 1989. "Information disclosure, method of payment, and takeover premiums : Public and private tender offers in France," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 363-403.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Levine, Paul & Aaronovitch, Sam, 1981. "The Financial Characteristics of Firms and Theories of Merger Activity," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(2), pages 149-72, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jmgtgv:v:7:y:2003:i:1:p:1-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.