The role of social networks and institutions in the internationalization of Russian entrepreneurial firms: Do they matter?
Drawing upon network theory and institutional theory, this paper examines the influence of networks on the internationalization of Russian entrepreneurial firms. Our case analysis suggests that within the context of the Russian environment, networks play a much less important role in the internationalization process than it is usually assumed in the literature. For the Russian entrepreneurial firms examined in our study, the most important factor in their internationalization was their engagement in honest business practices that established trust and commitment in their relationships with international business partners. This study underscores the importance of the institutional context of an entrepreneurial firm’s country. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012
Volume (Year): 10 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/business+%26+management/entrepreneurship/journal/10843/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jerzy Cieslik & Eugene Kaciak, 2009. "The Speed Of Internationalization Of Entrepreneurial Start-Ups In A Transition Environment," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 14(04), pages 375-392.
- William K. Hutchinson, 2005. "“Linguistic Distance” as a Determinant of Bilateral Trade," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1–15-1–15, July.
- Kiss, Andreea N. & Danis, Wade M., 2008. "Country institutional context, social networks, and new venture internationalization speed," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 388-399, December.
- Chris Styles & Tim Ambler, 2000. "The Impact of Relational Variables on Export Performance: An Empirical Investigation in Australia and the UK," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 25(3), pages 261-281, December.
- Harris, Simon & Wheeler, Colin, 2005. "Entrepreneurs' relationships for internationalization: functions, origins and strategies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 187-207, April.
- Pia Arenius, 2005. "The Psychic Distance Postulate Revised: From Market Selection to Speed of Market Penetration," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 115-131, June.
- Paul D Ellis, 2011. "Social ties and international entrepreneurship: Opportunities and constraints affecting firm internationalization," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 42(1), pages 99-127, January.
- Simeon Djankov & Edward Miguel & Yingyi Qian & Gerard Roland & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2005.
"Who are Russia’s entrepreneurs?,"
w0048, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Spencer, Jennifer W. & Gomez, Carolina, 2004. "The relationship among national institutional structures, economic factors, and domestic entrepreneurial activity: a multicountry study," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(10), pages 1098-1107, October.
- Smallbone, David & Welter, Friederike, 2001. "The Distinctiveness of Entrepreneurship in Transition Economies," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 249-262, June.
- Bruce Kogut & Harbir Singh, 1988. "The Effect of National Culture on the Choice of Entry Mode," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 19(3), pages 411-432, September.
- Andreea Kiss & Wade Danis, 2010. "Social networks and speed of new venture internationalization during institutional transition: A conceptual model," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 273-287, September.
- Coviello, Nicole & Munro, Hugh, 1997. "Network relationships and the internationalisation process of small software firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 361-386, August.
- Mike Wright & Robert E. Hoskisson & Mike W. Peng, 2005. "Strategy Research in Emerging Economies: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 1-33, 01.
- Michailova, Snejina & Worm, Verner, 2003. "Personal Networking in Russia and China:: Blat and Guanxi," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 509-519, August.
- Isabelle Huault & V. Perret & S. Charreire-Petit, 2007. "Management," Post-Print halshs-00337676, HAL.
- Nicole E Coviello, 2006. "The network dynamics of international new ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 37(5), pages 713-731, September.
- O. Morrissey & I. Filatotchev, 2000. "Globalisation and Trade: The Implications for Exports from Marginalised Economies," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(2), pages 1-12.
- Paul Ellis, 2000. "Social Ties and Foreign Market Entry," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 31(3), pages 443-469, September.
- Coviello, Nicole E. & Jones, Marian V., 2004. "Methodological issues in international entrepreneurship research," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 485-508, July.
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 2009. "The Uppsala internationalization process model revisited: From liability of foreignness to liability of outsidership," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 40(9), pages 1411-1431, December.
- Saul Estrin & Delia Baghdasaryan & Klaus E. Meyer, 2009. "The Impact of Institutional and Human Resource Distance on International Entry Strategies," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(7), pages 1171-1196, November.
- Sasi, Viveca & Arenius, Pia, 2008. "International new ventures and social networks: Advantage or liability?," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 400-411, December.
- Benjamin M Oviatt & Patricia P McDougall, 2005. "The internationalization of entrepreneurship," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 36(1), pages 2-8, January.
- Musteen, Martina & Francis, John & Datta, Deepak K., 2010. "The influence of international networks on internationalization speed and performance: A study of Czech SMEs," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 197-205, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jinten:v:10:y:2012:i:3:p:177-199. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.