Endogenous cost asymmetry and insufficient entry in the absence of scale economies
The literature analysing social efficiency of entry argues that entry is always socially excessive in industries with asymmetric cost firms and no scale economies. We show that exogenous cost asymmetry is responsible for this result. In a simple model with endogenous R&D investment by the more cost efficient firm, thus creating endogenous cost asymmetry, we show that entry is socially insufficient instead of excessive if slope of the marginal cost of R&D is not very high.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Simon P & de Palma, Andre & Nesterov, Yurii, 1995.
"Oligopolistic Competition and the Optimal Provision of Products,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(6), pages 1281-1301, November.
- ANDERSON, Simon P. & DE PALMA, André & NESTEROV, Yurii, 1994. "Oligopolistic Competition and the Optimal Provision of Products," CORE Discussion Papers 1994034, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Anderson, S. P. & De Palma, A. & Nesterov, Y., . "Oligopolistic competition and the optimal provision of products," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1179, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Michael D. Whinston, 1986. "Free Entry and Social Inefficiency," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(1), pages 48-58, Spring.
- Kotaro Suzumura & Kazuharu Kiyono, 1987. "Entry Barriers and Economic Welfare," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(1), pages 157-167.
- Arghya Ghosh & Souresh Saha, 2007. "Excess Entry in the Absence of Scale Economies," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 30(3), pages 575-586, March.
- Cabral, Luis M. B., 2004. "Simultaneous entry and welfare," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(5), pages 943-957, October.
- Okuno-Fujiwara, Masahiro & Suzumura, Kotaro, 1993.
"Symmetric Cournot Oligopoly and Economic Welfare: A Synthesis,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 3(1), pages 43-59, January.
- Masahiro Okuno-Fujiwara & Kotaro Suzumura, 1991. "Symmetric Cournot Oligopoly and Economic Welfare: A Synthesis," Discussion Paper Series a242, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Jingang Zhao, 2009. "Necessary and sufficient conditions for the optimal number of firms," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 98(3), pages 235-246, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jeczfn:v:106:y:2012:i:1:p:75-82. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.