Flying Too Close to the Sun? Hubris Among CEOs and How to Prevent it
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Malmendier, Ulrike & Tate, Geoffrey, 2008.
"Who makes acquisitions? CEO overconfidence and the market's reaction,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, pages 20-43.
- Malmendier, Ulrike M. & Tate, Geoffrey, 2003. "Who Makes Acquisitions? CEO Overconfidence and the Market's Reaction," Research Papers 1798, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Ulrike Malmendier & Geoffrey Tate, 2004. "Who Makes Acquisitions? CEO Overconfidence and the Market's Reaction," NBER Working Papers 10813, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1989. "Management entrenchment : The case of manager-specific investments," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 123-139, November.
- Ulrike Malmendier & Geoffrey Tate, 2005. "CEO Overconfidence and Corporate Investment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(6), pages 2661-2700, December.
- Deshmukh, Sanjay & Goel, Anand M. & Howe, Keith M., 2013. "CEO overconfidence and dividend policy," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 440-463.
- Koehn, Daryl, 1998. "Virtue Ethics, the Firm, and Moral Psychology," Business Ethics Quarterly, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(03), pages 497-513, July.
- Alexander Bertland, 2009. "Virtue Ethics in Business and the Capabilities Approach," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, pages 25-32.
- Roll, Richard, 1986. "The Hubris Hypothesis of Corporate Takeovers," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(2), pages 197-216, April.
- Daniel Palmer, 2009. "Business Leadership: Three Levels of Ethical Analysis," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, pages 525-536.
- Ciulla, Joanne B., 1995. "Leadership Ethics: Mapping the Territory," Business Ethics Quarterly, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(01), pages 5-28, January.
- Gabriel Flynn, 2008. "The Virtuous Manager: A Vision for Leadership in Business," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, pages 359-372.
- Solomon, Robert C., 2003. "Victims of Circumstances? A Defense of Virtue Ethics in Business," Business Ethics Quarterly, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(01), pages 43-62, January.
- Ma, Hao & Karri, Ranjan & Chittipeddi, Kumar, 2004. "The paradox of managerial tyranny," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 33-40.
- Ulrike Malmendier & Geoffrey Tate & Jon Yan, 2011. "Overconfidence and Early‐Life Experiences: The Effect of Managerial Traits on Corporate Financial Policies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(5), pages 1687-1733, October.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Vishal Gupta & Golshan Javadian & Nazanin Jalili, 2014. "Role of entrepreneur gender and management style in influencing perceptions and behaviors of new recruits: Evidence from the Islamic Republic of Iran," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 85-109, March.
- Kumar Alok, 2017. "Sāttvika Leadership: An Indian Model of Positive Leadership," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, pages 117-138.
- Joohee Park & Chune Young Chung, 2016. "CEO Overconfidence, Leadership Ethics, and Institutional Investors," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 9(1), pages 1-28, December.
- Sylvain Luc, 2017. "Le mythe du leadership et les approches fonctionnalistes. Au-delà de l'impératif héroïque," Working Papers hal-01536005, HAL.
- W. Rowe, 2014. "Some Antecedents and Consequences of Ethical Leadership: An Examination Using the Kings of Judah From 931 bc to 586 bc," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, pages 557-572.
- Niamh M. Brennan & John P. Conroy, 2013. "Executive hubris: the case of a bank CEO," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 26(2), pages 172-195, February.
- Pierre-Yves Néron, 2015. "Egalitarianism and Executive Compensation: A Relational Argument," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 132(1), pages 171-184, November.
- Vincent Giolito & Paul Verdin, 2017. "Sensemaking and Sensegiving in Strategic Error Management," Working Papers CEB 17-029, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
More about this item
KeywordsTop executives; CEO; Leadership ethics; Hubris; Authentic leadership; Reverence; Narcissism; Overconfidence;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jbuset:v:108:y:2012:i:3:p:265-283. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .