Reflections on the general theory of second best at its golden jubilee
The origin of the second best article is described and criticisms assessed. Distortions making impossible the achievement of either first or second best optima are outlined. Attempts to establish the applicability of first best rules are criticised, as are general rules for making piecemeal efficiency improvements. Both often use models containing empirically invalid assumptions and a selected few of the full set of distortions. Practical policy advice requires more parochial objective functions than community welfare; must rely on formal and appreciative theory, empirical evidence, and large doses of judgment; and should concentrate on making piecemeal improvements in context-specific situations. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
Volume (Year): 14 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:P.O. Box 86 04 46, 81631 Munich, Germany
Phone: +49 (0)89-9224-1281
Fax: +49 (0)89-907795-2281
Web page: http://www.iipf.org/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/public+finance/journal/10797/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robin Boadway, 1997. "Public Economics and the Theory of Public Policy," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 753-772, November.
- Curtis Eaton, B. & Lipsey, Richard G., 1989. "Product differentiation," Handbook of Industrial Organization,in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 723-768 Elsevier.
- Lipsey, Richard G. & Carlaw, Kenneth I. & Bekar, Clifford T., 2005. "Economic Transformations: General Purpose Technologies and Long-Term Economic Growth," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199290895.
- Robin Boadway, "undated".
"The Role of Second-Best Theory in Public Economics,"
EPRU Working Paper Series
95-06, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Robin W. Boadway, 1994. "The Role of Second-Best Theory in Public Economics," Working Papers 910, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- P. Bohm, 1967. "On the Theory of "Second Best"," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(3), pages 301-314.
- Harberger, Arnold C, 1971. "Three Basic Postulates for Applied Welfare Economics: An Interpretive Essay," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 785-797, September.
- Eaton, B Curtis & Lipsey, Richard G, 1976. "The Non-Uniqueness of Equilibrium in the Loschian Location Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(1), pages 71-93, March.
- Eaton, B Curtis & Lipsey, Richard G, 1978. "Freedom of Entry and the Existence of Pure Profit," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 88(351), pages 455-469, September.
- L. Athanasiou, 1966. "Some Notes On The Theory Of Second Best," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(1), pages 83-87.
- O. A. Davis & A. B. Whinston, 1967. "Piecemeal Policy in the Theory of Second Best," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(3), pages 323-331.
- McKee, Michael & West, Edwin G, 1981. "The Theory of Second Best: A Solution in Search of a Problem," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 19(3), pages 436-448, July.
- Atkinson, A. B. & Stiglitz, J. E., 1976. "The design of tax structure: Direct versus indirect taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 55-75.
- Hatta, Tatsuo, 1986. "Welfare effects of changing commodity tax rates toward uniformity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 99-112, February.
- Faith, Roger L & Thompson, Earl A, 1981. "A Paradox in the Theory of Second Best," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 19(2), pages 235-244, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)