Strategic Clustering and Competition by Alcohol Retailers: An Emperical Anlysis of Entry and Location Decisions
We develop and estimate a spatial game-theoretic model of entry and location choices to examine firms’ strategic clustering decisions. The model identifies two contradictory effects that determine firms’ geographical location choices: a competition effect and a clustering effect. We also separate firms’ strategic clustering incentives from the observed clustering behavior due to exogenous factors such as population and topographic desirability or constraints. In particular, we examine two closely related industries that share similar location limitations but have different strategic incentives to cluster, jointly estimate the Bayesian Nash equilibrium of a two-industry entry and location game, and quantify the strategic clustering incentives.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (813) 974-4252
Fax: (813) 974-6510
Web page: http://economics.usf.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Irmen, A. & Thisse, J.-F., .
"Competition in multi-characteristics spaces: Hotelling was almost right,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1305, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Irmen, Andreas & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1998. "Competition in Multi-characteristics Spaces: Hotelling Was Almost Right," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 76-102, January.
- Andreas IRMEN & Jean-François THISSE, 1996. "Competition in Multi-Characteristics Spaces: Hotelling Was Almost Right," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9613, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- IRMEN, Andreas & THISSE, Jacques-Francois, 1997. "Competition in multi-characteristics spaces: hotelling was almost right," CORE Discussion Papers 1997053, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Irmen, Andreas & Thisse, Jacques-François, 1996. "Competition in Multi-characteristics Spaces: Hotelling was Almost Right," CEPR Discussion Papers 1446, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Curtis Eaton, B. & Lipsey, Richard G., 1989. "Product differentiation," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 723-768 Elsevier.
- Gilles Duranton & Henry G. Overman, 2008.
"Exploring The Detailed Location Patterns Of U.K. Manufacturing Industries Using Microgeographic Data,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 213-243.
- Gilles Duranton & Henry G Overman, 2006. "Exploring the Detailed Location Patterns of UK Manufacturing Industries using Microgeographic Data," Working Papers tecipa-248, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Duranton, Gilles & Overman, Henry G, 2006. "Exploring the Detailed Location Patters of UK Manufacturing Industries using Microgeographic Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 5858, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gilles Duranton & Henry Overman, 2006. "Exploring the Detailed Location Patterns of UK Manufacturing Industries Using Microgeographic Data," CEP Discussion Papers dp0756, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Gilles Duranton & Henry G. Overman, 2006. "Exploring the detailed location patterns of UK manufacturing industries using microgeographic data," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19794, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- d'Aspremont, C & Gabszewicz, Jean Jaskold & Thisse, J-F, 1979.
"On Hotelling's "Stability in Competition","
Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1145-50, September.
- Yi Deng, 2005. "The value of knowledge spillovers," Working Paper Series 2005-14, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Deng, Yi, 2008. "The value of knowledge spillovers in the U.S. semiconductor industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 1044-1058, July.
- Picone, Gabriel A. & Ridley, David B. & Zandbergen, Paul A., 2009. "Distance decreases with differentiation: Strategic agglomeration by retailers," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 463-473, May.
- Glenn Ellison & Edward L. Glaeser, 1994.
"Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
4840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ellison, Glenn & Glaeser, Edward L, 1997. "Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(5), pages 889-927, October.
- Ellison, G. & Glaeser, E.L., 1994. "Geographic Concentration in U.S. Manufacturing Industries: A Dartboard Approach," Working papers 94-27, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Janet S. Netz & Beck A. Taylor, 2002. "Maximum Or Minimum Differentiation? Location Patterns Of Retail Outlets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 162-175, February.
- Pinkse, Joris & Slade, Margaret E., 1998. "Contracting in space: An application of spatial statistics to discrete-choice models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 125-154, July.
- Jeffrey H. Fischer & Joseph E. Harrington Jr., 1996. "Product Variety and Firm Agglomeration," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(2), pages 281-309, Summer.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:3:p:619-640 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usf:wpaper:1013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joshua Wilde)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.