Corporate Expenditure on Environmental Protection
We examine the determinants of firm's current environmental expenditure and firm's capital investment in equipment for pollution control using a Heckman selection model. As regards current environmental expenditure, we find that larger, exporting firms and firms subject to the Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control directive are more likely to spend resources at all. Once the decision to commit resources has been taken, larger firms, firms that are foreign-owned, and firms that report low shares of water and refuse charges in turnover have higher absolute levels of environmental expenditure. With respect to investment in equipment for pollution control, we find that energy intensive and exporting firms are more likely to invest at all. Once the decision to invest has been taken, larger firms and firms that report high water and refuse charges invest more in equipment for pollution control. This suggests that the firms for whom environmental concerns are most costly in terms of production and image do most to address them.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 51 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:c/o EAERE Secretariat - Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei - Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore 8, I-30124 Venice, Italy
Web page: http://www.eaere.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/environmental/journal/10640/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shadbegian Ronald J & Gray Wayne B, 2003.
"What Determines Environmental Performance at Paper Mills? The Roles of Abatement Spending, Regulation, and Efficiency,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-20, November.
- Ronald J. Shadbegian & Wayne B. Gray, 2003. "What Determines Environmental Performance at Paper Mills? The Roles of Abatement Spending, Regulation, and Efficiency," NCEE Working Paper Series 200303, National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, revised Apr 2003.
- Ronald J Shadbegian & Wayne B Gray, 2003. "What Determines Environmental Performance at Paper Mills? The Roles of Abatement Spending, Regulation, and Efficiency," Working Papers 03-10, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Becker, Randy A., 2005. "Air pollution abatement costs under the Clean Air Act: evidence from the PACE survey," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 144-169, July.
- Randy Becker, 2001. "Air Pollution Abatement Costs Under the Clean Air Act: Evidence from the PACE Survey," Working Papers 01-12, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Cole, Matthew A. & Elliott, Robert J.R. & Shimamoto, Kenichi, 2006. "Globalization, firm-level characteristics and environmental management: A study of Japan," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 312-323, September.
- Matthew Cole, Robert Elliott and Kenichi Shimamoto, 2005. "Globalization, Firm-Level Characteristics and Environmental Management: A Study of Japan," Discussion Papers 05-17, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Jūratė Jaraitė & Frank Convery & Corrado Di Maria, 2010. "Transaction costs for firms in the EU ETS: lessons from Ireland," Climate Policy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 190-215, March.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Heckman, James J, 1979. "Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-161, January.
- Amanda I. Lee & AJames Alm, 2004. "The Clean Air Act Amendments and Firm Investment in Pollution Abatement Equipment," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 80(3), pages 433-447.
- Roeland Bracke & Tom Verbeke & Veerle Dejonckheere, 2008. "What Determines the Decision to Implement EMAS? A European Firm Level Study," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 41(4), pages 499-518, December.
- Emilio Galdeano-Gómez, 2010. "Exporting and Environmental Performance: A Firm-level Productivity Analysis," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(1), pages 60-88, 01.
- Adam B. Jaffe et al., 1995. "Environmental Regulation and the Competitiveness of U.S. Manufacturing: What Does the Evidence Tell Us?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 33(1), pages 132-163, March.
- Anna Alberini & Kathleen Segerson, 2002. "Assessing Voluntary Programs to Improve Environmental Quality," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 22(1), pages 157-184, June.
- Alan Collins & Richard I. D. Harris, 2002. "Does Plant Ownership Affect the Level of Pollution Abatement Expenditure?," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 78(2), pages 171-189.
- Collins, A. & Harris, R.I.D., 2001. "Does Plant Ownership Affect the level of Pollution Abatement Expenditure?," Papers 138, Portsmouth University - Department of Economics.
- Kaiser, Kai & Schulze, Günther G., 2003. "International Competition and Environmental Expenditures: Empirical Evidence from Indonesian Manufacturing Plants," HWWA Discussion Papers 222, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Becker Randy A, 2003. "Pollution Abatement Expenditure by U.S. Manufacturing Plants: Do Community Characteristics Matter?," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 3(2), pages 1-23, December.
- Randy Becker, 2003. "Pollution Abatement Expenditure by U.S. Manufacturing Plants: Do Community Characteristics Matter?," Working Papers 03-18, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Frances Ruane & Julie Sutherland, 2005. "Export Performance and Destination Characteristics of Irish Manufacturing Industry," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 141(3), pages 442-459, October.
- Ruane, Frances & Sutherland, Julie, 2005. "Export Performance and Destination Characteristics of Irish Manufacturing Industry," Economics Working Papers wp05-03, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Alan Collins & Richard I. D. Harris, 2005. "The Impact Of Foreign Ownership And Efficiency On Pollution Abatement Expenditure By Chemical Plants: Some Uk Evidence," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 52(5), pages 747-768, November.
- Aden, Jean & Kyu-hong, Ahn & Rock, Michael T., 1999. "What is Driving the Pollution Abatement Expenditure Behavior of Manufacturing Plants in Korea?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1203-1214, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)