The Value of Snowfall to Skiers and Boarders
An interesting winter sport phenomenon inrecent years has been the growth ofsnowboarding. Snowboarding has outpaced skiingat many resorts and has become the snow ridingactivity of choice for many young people. Thisstudy develops an empirical demand model forwinter sport trips amongst college studentsfrom both camps and estimates economic welfareassociated with the two different activities. The results show that both trip demand andsurplus values are strongly affected by snowconditions. These effects are distinctlydifferent for the two consumer groups. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2004
Volume (Year): 29 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morey, Edward R., 1985. "Characteristics, consumer surplus, and new activities : A proposed ski area," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 221-236, March.
- Cameron, A Colin & Trivedi, Pravin K, 1986. "Econometric Models Based on Count Data: Comparisons and Applications of Some Estimators and Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(1), pages 29-53, January.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Morey, Edward R., 1981. "The demand for site-specific recreational activities: A characteristics approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 345-371, December.
- Daniel Hellerstein & Robert Mendelsohn, 1993.
"A Theoretical Foundation for Count Data Models,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 75(3), pages 604-611.
- Morey, Edward R, 1984. "The Choice of Ski Areas: Estimation of a Generalized CES Preference Ordering with Characteristics," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(4), pages 584-90, November.
- Moeltner K. & Englin J., 2004. "Choice Behavior Under Time-Variant Quality: State Dependence Versus," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 214-224, April.
- Cicchetti, Charles J & Fisher, Anthony C & Smith, V Kerry, 1976. "An Econometric Evaluation of a Generalized Consumer Surplus Measure: The Mineral King Controversy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(6), pages 1259-76, November.
- Herriges, Joseph A. & Kling, Catherine L., 2003. "Recreation Demand Models," Staff General Research Papers 10211, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Englin Jeffrey & Shonkwiler J. S., 1995. "Modeling Recreation Demand in the Presence of Unobservable Travel Costs: Toward a Travel Price Model," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 368-377, November.
- Gourieroux Christian & Monfort Alain & Trognon A, 1982.
"Pseudo maximum lilelihood methods : applications to poisson models,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain & Trognon, Alain, 1984. "Pseudo Maximum Likelihood Methods: Applications to Poisson Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 701-20, May.
- Moeltner, Klaus, 2003. "Addressing aggregation bias in zonal recreation models," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 128-144, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:29:y:2004:i:1:p:123-136. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.