Hedonic Price Analysis and Selectivity Bias
Hedonic valuation of quality attributes can be misleading when theassumption that these attributes are exogenous to sample selection isviolated. This paper considers the simultaneity between hedonic valuationand sample selection in the context of a model of producer behavior andinvestigates empirically the case where land is demanded for use as an inputeither in agricultural production or in touristic development. The empiricalanalysis suggests that failing to correct for sample selection results in abiased valuation of the effect of water salinity on agricultural land. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2003
Volume (Year): 26 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:c/o EAERE Secretariat - Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei - Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore 8, I-30124 Venice, Italy
Web page: http://www.eaere.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/environmental/journal/10640/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Hellerstein & Robert Mendelsohn, 1993.
"A Theoretical Foundation for Count Data Models,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 75(3), pages 604-611.
- Phoebe Koundouri & Panos Pashardes & Timothy Swanson & Anastasios Xepapadeas, .
"The Economics of Water Management in Developing Countries Problems, Principles and Policies,"
DEOS Working Papers
0302, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Phoebe Koundouri & Panos Pashardes & Timothy Swanson & Anastasios Xepapadeas, . "The Economics of Water Management in Developing Countries Problems, Principles and Policies," DEOS Working Papers 0303, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Koundouri, Phoebe & Pashardes, Panos & Swanson, Timothy & Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 2003. "The Economics of Water Management in Developing Countries Problems, Principles and Policies," MPRA Paper 38137, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Phoebe Koundouri & Panos Pashardes & Timothy M. Swanson & Anastasios Xepapadeas (ed.), 2003. "The Economics of Water Management in Developing Countries," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 2846, June.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Leonard, Gregory K. & McFadden, Daniel, 1995. "A utility-consistent, combined discrete choice and count data model Assessing recreational use losses due to natural resource damage," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Russell, Clifford S. & Vaughan, William J., 1982. "The national recreational fishing benefits of water pollution control," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 328-354, December.
- Koundouri, Phoebe, 2000. "Three approaches to measuring natural resource scarcity: theory and application to groundwater," MPRA Paper 38265, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:26:y:2003:i:1:p:45-56. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.