The Economics of Water Resource Allocation: Valuation Methods and Policy Implications
In this chapter a ÃƒÂ¢Ã¯Â¿Â½Ã¯Â¿Â½watershed economics approachÃƒÂ¢Ã¯Â¿Â½Ã¯Â¿Â½ that could be applied in Cyprus is proposed which is composed of two important stages. In Stage I economic valuation techniques are used to establish the economic value of the competing demands for surface and groundwater, incorporating where necessary an analysis of water quality. The valuation exercise allows the objective balancing of demands based upon the equi-marginal principle to achieve economic efficiency. In Stage II a policy impact analysis is proposed which addresses issues of social equity and the value of water for environmental/ecological purposes. The analysis is undertaken within the confines of the watershed; the most natural unit for the analysis of water allocation and scarcity since it determines the hydrological links between competing users and thus the impacts of one user upon another. The methodology is encapsulated by a case study of the Kouris watershed in Cyprus.
|Date of creation:|
|Publication status:||Published in Water Resources Allocation: Policy and Socioeconomic Issues in Cyprus|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 76, Patission Street, Athens 104 34|
Phone: (+301) 8214021
Fax: (301) 8214021
Web page: http://deos.aueb.gr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hajispyrou, Soteroula & Koundouri, Phoebe & Pashardes, Panos, 2002.
"Household demand and welfare: implications of water pricing in Cyprus,"
Environment and Development Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(04), pages 659-685, October.
- Panos Pashardes & Phoebe Koundouri & Soteroula Hajispyrou, "undated". "Household demand and welfare: implications of water pricing in Cyprus," DEOS Working Papers 0202, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Pashardes, Panos & Koundouri, Phoebe & Hajispyrou, Soteroula, 2002. "Household Demand and Welfare Implications of Water Pricing in Cyprus," MPRA Paper 38444, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Soteroula Hajispyrou & Phoebe Koundouri & Panos Pashardes, "undated". "Household demand and welfare: implications of water pricing in Cyprus," DEOS Working Papers 0201, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Phoebe Koundouri & Panos Pashardes, 2003. "Hedonic Price Analysis and Selectivity Bias," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(1), pages 45-56, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aue:wpaper:1137. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekaterini Glynou)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.