Valuing Fisheries Depreciation in Natural Resource Accounting: The Pelagic Fisheries in Northeast Peninsular Malaysia
In this paper, an approach based onthe net present value method is used to account forthe changes in the value of fisheries resources. Changes in the value of fisheries resources can occurbetween successive years' catch as well as betweencurrent and optimal levels of catch. These changesneed to be accounted for in the national accountingsystem to reflect the `true' net national income thatis sustainable. The approach outlined in this paper isdesirable as it allows the estimation of thedepreciation value of fisheries resource with limitedbiological information. The application of theapproach to the pelagic fisheries in NortheastPeninsular Malaysia (NEPM) showed that the resourcedepreciated in value over most years from 1982 to1993. These depreciations correspond to increasedfishing effort. In addition, pelagic catches in NEPMfrom 1982 to 1993 were lower than the optimal levelsof catch due to overfishing. Thus policies aimed atreducing fishing effort can provide improvement inboth the potentially higher capital values of thefishery resource and the earning potentials of thefishing industry in NEPM. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 15 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:c/o EAERE Secretariat - Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei - Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore 8, I-30124 Venice, Italy
Web page: http://www.eaere.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/environmental/journal/10640/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hartwick, John M., 1991. "Degradation of environmental capital and national accounting procedures," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(2-3), pages 642-649, April.
- Landefeld, J Steven & Hines, James R, 1985. "National Accounting for Non-renewable Natural Resources in the Mining Industries," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 31(1), pages 1-20, March.
- Hartwick, John M., 1990.
"Natural resources, national accounting and economic depreciation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 291-304, December.
- John M. Hartwick, 1990. "Natural Resources, National Accounting and Economic Depreciation," Working Papers 771, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Clark, Colin W. & Munro, Gordon R., 1975. "The economics of fishing and modern capital theory: A simplified approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 92-106, December.
- Karl-Göran Mäler, 1991. "National accounts and environmental resources," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 1(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Tom Crowards, 1996. "Natural resource accounting," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 7(3), pages 213-241, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)