Valuing Fisheries Depreciation in Natural Resource Accounting: The Pelagic Fisheries in Northeast Peninsular Malaysia
In this paper, an approach based onthe net present value method is used to account forthe changes in the value of fisheries resources. Changes in the value of fisheries resources can occurbetween successive years' catch as well as betweencurrent and optimal levels of catch. These changesneed to be accounted for in the national accountingsystem to reflect the `true' net national income thatis sustainable. The approach outlined in this paper isdesirable as it allows the estimation of thedepreciation value of fisheries resource with limitedbiological information. The application of theapproach to the pelagic fisheries in NortheastPeninsular Malaysia (NEPM) showed that the resourcedepreciated in value over most years from 1982 to1993. These depreciations correspond to increasedfishing effort. In addition, pelagic catches in NEPMfrom 1982 to 1993 were lower than the optimal levelsof catch due to overfishing. Thus policies aimed atreducing fishing effort can provide improvement inboth the potentially higher capital values of thefishery resource and the earning potentials of thefishing industry in NEPM. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
Volume (Year): 15 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karl-Göran Mäler, 1991. "National accounts and environmental resources," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 1(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Landefeld, J Steven & Hines, James R, 1985. "National Accounting for Non-renewable Natural Resources in the Mining Industries," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 31(1), pages 1-20, March.
- Clark, Colin W. & Munro, Gordon R., 1975. "The economics of fishing and modern capital theory: A simplified approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 92-106, December.
- Hartwick, John M., 1991. "Degradation of environmental capital and national accounting procedures," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(2-3), pages 642-649, April.
- Tom Crowards, 1996. "Natural resource accounting," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 7(3), pages 213-241, April.
- Hartwick, John M., 1990.
"Natural resources, national accounting and economic depreciation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 291-304, December.
- John M. Hartwick, 1990. "Natural Resources, National Accounting and Economic Depreciation," Working Papers 771, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:enreec:v:15:y:2000:i:3:p:227-241. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.