Market definition with differentiated products: a spatial competition application
This paper applies the ‘hypothetical monopolist’ test of market definition to a retail market with products differentiated by means of location and other dimensions. The test for defining the relevant product and geographic market follows the conditions required by the European Union Competition Law and so it takes into account both demand- and supply-side substitution. The empirical model using sales data from a set of movie theatres in the North of Spain, incorporating the observed locations of consumers vis-à-vis the stores, shows that empirical tests of market definition may lead to an implausible (too restrictive) definition of the relevant market if supply-side substitution is not accounted for. It also shows that the main driver of competition in retail markets with differentiated products is not price but product characteristics. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2013
Volume (Year): 36 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/journal/10657|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Davis, 2006. "Spatial competition in retail markets: movie theaters," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(4), pages 964-982, December.
- Javier Elizalde, 2012. "A theoretical approach to market definition analysis," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 449-475, December.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:i:4:p:964-982 is not listed on IDEAS
- Robert C. Feenstra & James A. Levinsohn, 1995. "Estimating Markups and Market Conduct with Multidimensional Product Attributes," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(1), pages 19-52.
- Scheffman, David T & Spiller, Pablo T, 1987. "Geographic Market Definition under the U.S. Department of Justice Merger Guidelines," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(1), pages 123-147, April.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1989. "Symmetric equilibrium existence and optimality in differentiated product markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 178-194, February.
- Robert Ekelund & George Ford & John Jackson, 1999. "Is Radio Advertising a Distinct Local Market? An Empirical Analysis," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 14(3), pages 239-256, May.
- Argentesi, Elena & Ivaldi, Marc, 2005. "Market Definition in Printed Media Industry: Theory and Practice," IDEI Working Papers 376, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Baker, Jonathan B. & Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1988. "Estimating the residual demand curve facing a single firm," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 283-300.
- Slade, Margaret E, 1986. "Exogeneity Tests of Market Boundaries Applied to Petroleum Products," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 291-303, March.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2005:i:77:p:01 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001.
"Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232197.
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2010. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262232588.
- Javier Elizalde, 2010. "Framework for Valid Market Definition Tests in Merger Control," Faculty Working Papers 01/10, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Steffen Brenner, 2005. "Hotelling Games with Three, Four, and More Players," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 851-864.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:ejlwec:v:36:y:2013:i:3:p:471-521. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.