Abnormal Stock Returns Following Large One-day Advances and Declines: Evidence from Asia-Pacific Markets
This paper documents significant 5-day, 10-day and 20-day cumulative abnormal returns following large one-day advances/declines in some Asian emerging stock markets, such as Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Thailand, Australia and Philippines. Stock prices tend to rise after large one-day advances and fall after large one-day declines. These findings are inconsistent with DeBondt and Thaler’s (1985 and 1987) overreaction hypothesis. However, they are consistent with Cox and Peterson’s (194) find that prices of longer term (5 to 20 days) tend to decline following large price declines. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1997
Volume (Year): 4 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=102851|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brown, Keith C. & Harlow, W. V. & Tinic, Seha M., 1988. "Risk aversion, uncertain information, and market efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 355-385, December.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Masulis, Ronald W., 1980. "The effects of capital structure change on security prices : A study of exchange offers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 139-178, June.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1980. "Measuring security price performance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 205-258, September.
- Park, Jinwoo, 1995. "A Market Microstructure Explanation for Predictable Variations in Stock Returns following Large Price Changes," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(02), pages 241-256, June.
- De Bondt, Werner F M & Thaler, Richard, 1985. " Does the Stock Market Overreact?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 793-805, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:apfinm:v:4:y:1997:i:2:p:171-177. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.