Option-Based Prediction of Commercial Mortgage Defaults
Underwriters set loan-to-value ratios and loan contract interest rates of uninsured commercial mortgages to anticipate the likelihood of subsequent default. The results of the use of a modified Black-Scholes option model suggest that loan-to-value ratios are bound from below by borrowers' desires to maximize project leverage in a limited liability setting and constrained from above by lenders' requirement to originate loans with institutional-grade (Baa) contract interest rates. Given the prevailing risk-free rate and the investment-grade rate, this model at the time of mortgage origination predicts the possibility of default for a new commercial mortgage. The model is empirically verified with ACLI data for 1968-89.
Volume (Year): 9 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael J. Brennan & Eduardo S. Schwartz, 1985. "Determinants of GNMA Mortgage Prices," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 13(3), pages 209-228.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- James L. Kuhle & Carl H. Walther & Charles H. Wurtzebach, 1986. "The Financial Performance of Real Estate Investment Trusts," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 1(1), pages 67-75.
- James R. Webb & Jack H. Rubens, 1986. "Portfolio Considerations in the Valuation of Real Estate," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 14(3), pages 465-495.
- Kerry D. Vandell, 1992. "Predicting Commercial Mortgage Foreclosure Experience," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 20(1), pages 55-88.
- Leon G. Shilton & James R. Webb, 1989. "Commercial Loan Underwriting and Option Valuation," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 4(1), pages 1-12.
- Frydman, Halina & Altman, Edward I & Kao, Duen-Li, 1985. " Introducing Recursive Partitioning for Financial Classification: The Case of Financial Distress," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(1), pages 269-91, March.
- Kaplan, Robert S & Urwitz, Gabriel, 1979. "Statistical Models of Bond Ratings: A Methodological Inquiry," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(2), pages 231-61, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:9:n:2:1994:p:219-236. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.