Cointegration and Price Discovery between Equity and Mortgage REITs
This study analyzes the relationship between equity and mortgage real estate investment trust (REIT) stock prices by performing cointegration tests and causality tests, and estimating an error correction model. Evidence is found that a stable long-run linear relationship exists based on their common reactions to changes in market returns, interest rates and other additional factors. Geweke causality test results indicate a causal relationship running from EREIT stock prices to MREIT stock prices. This may reflect the quicker response of equity REIT stock prices to changes including real estate returns. In addition, the results suggest overall linear dependence (total linear causality) and instantaneous linear feedback between changes in EREIT and MREIT stock prices. The results of the error correction model not only indicate a significant increase in the explanatory power of the model compared with the vector autoregression model but also reveals how the price discovery processes in REIT security markets maintain long-run equilibrium.
Volume (Year): 16 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K.C. Chen & Daniel D. Tzang, 1988. "Interest-Rate Sensitivity of Real Estate Investment Trusts," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 3(3), pages 13-22.
- David A. Dickey & Dennis W. Jansen & Daniel L. Thornton, 1991. "A primer on cointegration with an application to money and income," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 58-78.
- Hsiao, Cheng, 1979. "Causality tests in econometrics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 321-346, November.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-438, July.
- Jun Han & Youguo Liang, 1995. "The Historical Performance of Real Estate Investment Trusts," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 10(3), pages 235-262.
- He, Ling T & Myer, F C Neil & Webb, James R, 1996. "The Sensitivity of Bank Stock Returns to Real Estate," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 203-220, March.
- Terence Khoo & David Hartzell & Martin Hoesli, 1993. "An Investigation of the Change in Real Estate Investment Trust Betas," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 21(2), pages 107-130.