Hedonic Price Indexes: A Comparison of Imputation, Time Dummy and ’Re-Pricing’ Methods
The main approaches to measuring hedonic indexes in the academic literature are the imputation approach and the time dummy approach. This paper compares both approaches, discusses an alternative method called hedonic re-pricing, and comments on a recent contribution by Diewert et al. (2009). The aim is to explain the differences between the various hedonic approaches as well as their similarities, and to point to the implications for statistical agencies. Hedonic price indexes can be weighted or unweighted and the paper addresses the issue of choice of regression weights. For unweighted indexes it is shown that the ’full’ hedonic imputation approach and the time dummy approach implicitly leave the matched part of the indexes unaffected, just like ’single’ and ’double’ hedonic imputation do explicitly.
Volume (Year): 230 (2010)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jbnst|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Hill & Daniel Melser, 2008. "Hedonic Imputation And The Price Index Problem: An Application To Housing," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 46(4), pages 593-609, October.
- Erwin Diewert, 2005. "Weighted Country Product Dummy Variable Regressions And Index Number Formulae," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 51(4), pages 561-570, December.
- Ariel Pakes, 2003.
"A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indexes with an Application to PC's,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(5), pages 1578-1596, December.
- Ariel Pakes, 2002. "A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indices with an Application to PC's," NBER Working Papers 8715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Neal J. Rappaport, 2001. "Price and Quality of Desktop and Mobile Personal Computers: A Quarter-Century Historical Overview," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 268-273, May.
- Teekens, R & Koerts, J, 1972. "Some Statistical Implications of the Log Transformation of Multiplicative Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(5), pages 793-819, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jns:jbstat:v:230:y:2010:i:6:p:772-791. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.