Competitive Versus Cooperative Federalism: Is a Fiscal Equalization Scheme Necessary from an Allocative Point of View?/ Kompetitiver versus kooperativer Föderalismus: Ist ein horizontaler Finanzausgleich aus allokativer Sicht erforderlich?
With its great financial reform in 1969 the Federal Republic of Germany pushed through a model of cooperative federalism. One of ist central elements is the fiscal equalization scheme between the states in the federation. After the German reunification there was a shift in science as well as in the political sphere from this model to one of competitive federalism. From the point of view of efficiency, there have since been calls for the elimination of fiscal equalization, in particular. The models from which this conclusion is drawn are extremely restrictive. It will be shown that it is the distribution of land ownership that decides whether a fiscal equalization scheme is necessary if governments have unrestricted access to land rent taxation. Moreover, it will be shown that replacing a tax on rents accruing to the immobile factor of production, land, by a tax on the mobile factor of production, labor, leads to efficiency as well, if a fiscal equalization scheme is established. These results are derived by linking the question of the necessity of a fiscal equalization scheme to the question of the efficient provision of public inputs.
Volume (Year): 225 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: https://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jbnst|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eggert, Wolfgang, 2002. "Nationale Besteuerung und wirtschaftliche Integration," Beiträge zur Finanzwissenschaft, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, edition 1, volume 17, number urn:isbn:9783161477850.
- Hoel, Michael & Shapiro, Perry, 2003.
"Population mobility and transboundary environmental problems,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(5-6), pages 1013-1024, May.
- Michael Hoel & Perry Shapiro, 2001. "Population Mobility and Transboundary Environmental Problems," CESifo Working Paper Series 488, CESifo Group Munich.
- Robin W. Boadway & Frank R. Flatters, 1982. "Efficiency and Equalization Payments in a Federal System of Government: A Synthesis and Extension of Recent Results," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 15(4), pages 613-633, November.
- Mansoorian, Arman & Myers, Gordon M., 1993. "Attachment to home and efficient purchases of population in a fiscal externality economy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 117-132, August.
- Homburg, Stefan, 1993. "Eine Theorie des Länderfinanzausgleichs: Finanzausgleich und Produktionseffizienz," EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 458-486.
- Hercowitz, Zvi & Pines, David, 1991.
"Migration with fiscal externalities,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 163-180, November.
- Wellisch,Dietmar, 2000. "Theory of Public Finance in a Federal State," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521630351.
- Richter, Wolfram F. & Wellisch, Dietmar, 1996. "The provision of local public goods and factors in the presence of firm and household mobility," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 73-93, April.
- Flatters, Frank & Henderson, Vernon & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1974. "Public goods, efficiency, and regional fiscal equalization," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 99-112, May.
- Buchanan, James M. & Goetz, Charles J., 1972. "Efficiency limits of fiscal mobility: An assessment of the tiebout model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 25-43, April.
- Russell Krelove, 1992. "Efficient Tax Exporting," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 25(1), pages 145-155, February.
- Boadway, Robin, 1982. "On the Method of Taxation and the Provision of Local Public Goods: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(4), pages 846-851, September.
- Homburg, Stefan, 1997. "Ursachen und Wirkungen eines zwischenstaatlichen Finanzausgleichs," EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 61-95.
- Wildasin, David E., 1987. "Theoretical analysis of local public economics," Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics,in: E. S. Mills (ed.), Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 29, pages 1131-1178 Elsevier. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jns:jbstat:v:225:y:2005:i:3:p:259-282. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.