Assessing the Accuracy of Event Forecasts
Event forecasts, often generated from estimated econometric models, comprise a binary time series. In empirical finance, the market timing test proposed by Henricksson and Merton (1981) is probably the most popular method to assess the accuracy of these forecasts. Unfortunately, event forecasts and/or realizations are serially correlated, violating the independent identical distributed (IID) assumption. Consequently, the market timing test has an inflated size that can lead to doubtful empirical results. We find that the heteroskedasticity- autocorrelation (HAC) robust t-test with fixed-b asymptotics in Kiefer and Vogelsang (2005) and with the empirical distribution obtained using the naive block bootstrap can overcome this problem. As compared to several extant testing methods, simulation results reveal that the empirical size of these two testing procedures is quite close to the nominal size in finite samples. An empirical study is performed to demonstrate the usefulness of the naive block bootstrap.
Volume (Year): 5 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 100 Wenhwa Road, Seatwen, Taichung|
Web page: http://www.jem.org.tw/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014.
"A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Breen, William & Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi, 1989. " Economic Significance of Predictable Variations in Stock Index Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(5), pages 1177-89, December.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M. & Vogelsang, Timothy J., 2002. "Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Testing Using Bandwidth Equal To Sample Size," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(06), pages 1350-1366, December.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M. & Vogelsang, Timothy J., 2005.
"A New Asymptotic Theory for Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Tests,"
05-08, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M. & Vogelsang, Timothy J., 2005. "A New Asymptotic Theory For Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Tests," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(06), pages 1130-1164, December.
- Henriksson, Roy D & Merton, Robert C, 1981. "On Market Timing and Investment Performance. II. Statistical Procedures for Evaluating Forecasting Skills," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(4), pages 513-33, October.
- Engel, Charles, 1994.
"Can the Markov switching model forecast exchange rates?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 151-165, February.
- Charles Engel, 1992. "Can the Markov Switching Model Forecast Exchange Rates?," NBER Working Papers 4210, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Engel, 1991. "Can the Markov switching model forecast exchange rates?," Research Working Paper 91-04, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Lahiri, Soumendra Nath, 1996. "On Edgeworth Expansion and Moving Block Bootstrap for StudentizedM-Estimators in Multiple Linear Regression Models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 42-59, January.
- Joon Y. Park, 2003.
"Bootstrap Unit Root Tests,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1845-1895, November.
- Joon Y. Park, 2000. "Bootstrap Unit Root Tests," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1587, Econometric Society.
- Park, Joon, 2002. "Bootstrap Unit Root Tests," Working Papers 2003-04, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Dimitris Politis & Halbert White, 2004. "Automatic Block-Length Selection for the Dependent Bootstrap," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(1), pages 53-70.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jec:journl:v:5:y:2009:i:2:p:219-240. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yi-Ju Su)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.