Optimal Defensive Strategies under Varying Consumer Distributional Patterns and Market Maturity
In this paper we describe a simulation approach to explore optimal defensive strategies concerning an entrant situation in an artificial consumer market. There are two questions of interest concerning the adaptation of the strategy to obtain maximal profits¡Xthe effects of (1) varying heterogeneity of the considered consumer aspiration points and (2) the maturity of the market at the time of entry. The resulting optimal price-budget combinations remain stable up to a certain degree of heterogeneity. Then a threshold is reached beyond which further disaggregating the market leads to boundary solutions. The entrant threshold seems to be slightly lower than the incumbent threshold. In the case of very late entry a boundary solution seems to be optimal for the entrant in the sense of minimizing losses.
Volume (Year): 1 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 100 Wenhwa Road, Seatwen, Taichung|
Web page: http://www.jem.org.tw/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John R. Hauser & Steven M. Shugan, 2008.
"Defensive Marketing Strategies,"
INFORMS, vol. 27(1), pages 88-110, 01-02.
- John R. Hauser & Steven M. Shugan, 1983. "Defensive Marketing Strategies," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(4), pages 319-360.
- Hauser, John R. & Shugan, Steven., 1981. "Defensive marketing stategies," Working papers 1243-81., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Asim Ansari & Nicholas Economides & Avijit Ghosh, 1994. "Competitive Positioning in Markets with Nonuniform Preferences," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 13(3), pages 248-273.
- K. Ravi Kumar & D. Sudharshan, 1988. "Defensive Marketing Strategies: An Equilibrium Analysis Based on Decoupled Response Function Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(7), pages 805-815, July.
- Suman Basuroy & Dung Nguyen, 1998. "Multinomial Logit Market Share Models: Equilibrium Characteristics and Strategic Implications," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(10), pages 1396-1408, October.
- William T. Robinson, 1988. "Marketing Mix Reactions to Entry," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 7(4), pages 368-385.
- Hauser, John R., 1987. "Existence and uniqueness of price equilibria in Defender," Working papers 1878-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Gregory S. Carpenter & Kent Nakamoto, 1990. "Competitive Strategies for Late Entry into a Market with a Dominant Brand," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(10), pages 1268-1278, October.
- Thomas S. Gruca & K. Ravi Kumar & D. Sudharshan, 1992. "An Equilibrium Analysis of Defensive Response to Entry Using a Coupled Response Function Model," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(4), pages 348-358. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jec:journl:v:1:y:2005:i:2:p:187-206. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yi-Ju Su)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.