Corporate Real Estate, Capital Structure and Stock Performance: Evidence from China
This paper attempts to study the relationships among corporate real estate (CRE), capital structure and stock performance of China¡¦s non-real estate firms, including the bidirectional relationships between debt ratio (DR) and corporate real estate ratio (CRER), the impact of CRER on stock performance, and whether this impact differs across firms with different debt levels. The results show that for the overall sample, DR has a positive effect on CRER, while CRER negatively affects DR. CRER has no significant positive impact on the abnormal returns of stocks, and even decreases those for firms in the information industry. However, it can significantly reduce the systematic risks of stock returns. Moreover, we find that CRER has no significant effect on abnormal returns regardless of the amount of debt level that a firm has, and there is no significant difference between the effects of CRER on abnormal returns for firms with different levels of debt. On the other hand, the effect of CRER on systematic risk is significantly negative for firms in the low debt group, and insignificantly positive for firms in the high debt group. The CRER of lower debt firms can significantly reduce much more systematic risk than that of the high debt firms.
Volume (Year): 15 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.asres.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Asian Real Estate Society, 51 Monroe Street, Plaza E-6, Rockville, MD 20850, USA|
Web: http://www.asres.org/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Jun Han & Youguo Liang, 1995. "The Historical Performance of Real Estate Investment Trusts," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 10(3), pages 235-262.
- Yan Dong & Charles Ka Yui Leung & Dongliang Cai, 2012.
"What Drives Fixed Asset Holding and Risk- Adjusted Performance of Corporates in China? An Empirical Analysis,"
International Real Estate Review,
Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 15(2), pages 141-164.
- Dong, Yan & Leung, Charles Ka Yui & Cai, Dongliang, 2011. "What Drives Fixed Asset Holding and Risk-Adjusted Performance of Corporate in China? An Empirical Analysis," MPRA Paper 29128, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dirk Brounen & Piet Eichholtz, 2005. "Corporate Real Estate Ownership Implications: International Performance Evidence," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 429-445, June.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1995. " Size and Book-to-Market Factors in Earnings and Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 131-55, March.
- Kiwoong Cheong & Chi Soo Kim, 1997. "Corporate Real Estate Holdings and the Value of the Firm in Korea," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 13(3), pages 273-296.
- Levin, Andrew & Lin, Chien-Fu & James Chu, Chia-Shang, 2002.
"Unit root tests in panel data: asymptotic and finite-sample properties,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 108(1), pages 1-24, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LEVINLIN: RATS procedure to perform Levin-Lin-Chu test for unit roots in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTS00242, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Yongheng Deng & Joseph Gyourko, . "Real Estate Ownership by Non-Real Estate Firms: An Estimate of the Impact on Firm Returns," Zell/Lurie Center Working Papers 321, Wharton School Samuel Zell and Robert Lurie Real Estate Center, University of Pennsylvania.
- Selale Tuzel, 2010. "Corporate Real Estate Holdings and the Cross-Section of Stock Returns," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(6), pages 2268-2302, June.
- Kim Hiang Liow, 2004. "Corporate Real Estate and Stock Market Performance," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 119-140, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ire:issued:v:15:n:01:2012:p:107-126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.