Corporate Real Estate Holdings: Fool' s Gold or Crown Jewel?
This paper aims to introduce new evidence of consistently negative impacts on enterprise value when corporations increase real estate holdings. Adopting a different approach from previous studies, our data analysis shows that corporate real estate portfolios and enterprise value share an inverse relationship. Surprisingly, this trend was seen during the Japanese real estate bubble in the late 1980' s. Previous reports from the United States and Singapore show that only in the retail sector do increases in corporate real estate holdings have a positive influence on stock performance. However, our research indicates that the stock performance of Japanese firms in the retail sector was negative across the board for firms in other sectors.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2-1, Rokkodai, Nada-ku, Kobe City 657-8501|
Web page: http://www.b.kobe-u.ac.jp/repec/kbb/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shi Ming Yu & Kim Hiang Liow, 2009. "Do retail firms benefit from real estate ownership?," Journal of Property Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(1), pages 25-60, February.
- Dirk Brounen & Piet Eichholtz, 2005. "Corporate Real Estate Ownership Implications: International Performance Evidence," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 429-445, June.
- Michael J. Seiler & Arjun Chatrath & James R. Webb, 2001. "Real Asset Ownership and the Risk and Return to Stockholders," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 22(1/2), pages 199-212.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-838, May.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Eun Sun Hwang & Vicky L. Seiler & Michael J. Seiler, 2005. "Multinational Companies Real Asset Ownership and its Impact on Diversification," ERES eres2005_204, European Real Estate Society (ERES).
- Kim Hiang Liow, 2004. "Corporate Real Estate and Stock Market Performance," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 119-140, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kbb:dpaper:2013-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yasuyuki Miyahara)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.